xxv. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐦𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐤𝐢𝐝𝐧𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐟 𝐏𝐨𝐩𝐞 𝐇𝐞𝐲𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐝

//chapter twenty-five• the attempted kidnapping of Pope Heyward

• the attempted kidnapping of Pope Heyward

ANDREW AND SARAH used to love taking trips to Charleston- not that Andrew ever expressed that. Driving down the roads of North Carolina again, filled Andrew with nostalgia for the days where him and Sarah came here for trash clean ups on St. Patti's day. Andrew clasped at the chain around his neck, his birthday gift from Sarah. It was warm in his hand.

They were no where yet close to their destination, you could tell from the influx of greenery and the absence of huge houses. They were still in roughin' it territory.

"Guys, I've read this thing like a hundred times and it makes no sense." Kie states as they drove down the streets of North Carolina, headed for Charleston. "I mean, the Limbrey's own like, half of Charleston. What do the Kook kings of Charleston know about a murder on Kildare Island?"

"Yeah, and why Pope specifically? That's the other creepy thing." JJ points out, glancing back at Kie.

"I already said that the whole come alone thing was weird." Andrew adds, keeping his eyes on the road.

"I was thinking the same thing. I think it's because-" Pope's cut off by a loud thud from the engine of the truck.

And then the truck started smoking.

"What is that?"

"Pull over!"

"That's a lot of smoke." Kie states as she sits forwards, "Even for your dad's truck." The smoke is blown through the windows into the truck and blocked Pope's view as he tried to pull over. 

"Pope, come on, I got sensitive lungs." JJ complained.

Pope shouts as he drives the truck over. Something popped off the bottom as Pope pulled off to the side of the road. "Shit. Shit."

"Now? This had to happen right now?" Andrew demanded.

"It's gonna blow up. It's gonna blow up." Kie panicked as she threw her door open and got out.

"No. It's not gonna blow up." JJ denied as all four of them got out. "I'm gonna guess you unhooked the radiator." JJ adds when he sees the hubcap on the ground.

"You're kidding me." Pope waved smoke out over his face as he pushed open the hood of the truck.

"I actually haven't seen this before, you knocked the entire hubcap off." JJ clapped and laughed as he picked the piece up off the ground. "You might wanna reschedule your meeting tonight, Pope." 

"Plan B, we could... um, maybe public transportation?" Kie offered. "We could hitchhike, rent bikes." Kie tried to come up with alternatives while Pope stared at the engine of the truck as JJ came around to stand next to him.