Secrets of the Serpent

Y/N's Point of View

The Great Hall buzzed with excitement as the students chatted about the Quidditch match. I was still reeling from the adrenaline of watching Harry's spectacular catch and Draco's embarrassing fall. But that wasn't the only thing on my mind. The day's events had only intensified the sense of unease that had been growing ever since the attacks began.

The next day, during the Defense Against the Dark Arts class, Lockhart, with his usual flourish, introduced Professor Snape as his assistant for a demonstration. I watched with a mixture of curiosity and skepticism as Snape strode onto the stage, his usual stern expression set firmly in place.

Lockhart began his demonstration with an over-the-top show of magical prowess, but it was Snape's spell that truly grabbed everyone's attention. With a flick of his wand, Lockhart was sent sprawling across the room, much to the amusement of the students. I couldn't help but smirk. Lockhart deserved every bit of that humiliation, but I knew it wasn't going to make Snape any more likable.

The classroom buzzed with energy as the demonstration shifted to a duel between Harry and Draco. As Draco launched a spell, I leaned forward in my seat, my eyes fixed on the stage. The duel was intense, and Draco's spell was particularly nasty. The snake that emerged from his wand slithered across the floor, causing a ripple of shock and fear among the students.

I had been concentrating on Draco, but then I saw Harry's reaction to the snake. He seemed to be communicating with it. A chill ran down my spine as I realized that Harry was speaking Parseltongue—the ability to converse with snakes.

As the class came to an end, I couldn't shake the feeling of dread that had settled over me. Harry had unintentionally shown everyone that he was a Parselmouth, a fact that would undoubtedly fuel the rumors about his connection to Salazar Slytherin.

After class, I caught up with Harry, Ron, and Hermione in the corridor. They were clearly unsettled by the day's events.

"Hey," I said, trying to keep my tone light despite the seriousness of the situation. "What a day, huh? Did you see how Lockhart got blasted across the room?"

Hermione gave a half-hearted chuckle. "Yeah, it was quite the show. But did you notice anything else?"

I nodded, glancing around to make sure no one was eavesdropping. "I heard Harry speaking Parseltongue. I can understand it too, you know. It's a rare gift."

Ron's eyes widened. "You can? What did he say to the snake?"

"He told it to leave Justin alone," I explained, lowering my voice. "It's important because it means Harry has a connection to Salazar Slytherin. That's why everyone's freaking out."

Harry looked frustrated. "I didn't even know I could speak Parseltongue. I just thought I was telling the snake to back off."

Hermione's brow furrowed with concern. "It's not common, Harry. And it's definitely going to stir up rumors. People will think you're related to Slytherin or something."

I placed a comforting hand on Harry's shoulder. "It doesn't define who you are. We just need to stay calm and figure out what's really going on."

Ron nodded, though he still looked worried. "So what now? We can't just ignore this."

"We need to keep our heads up," I said firmly. "There's a lot more going on here, and we need to stay focused. We're all in this together, and we need to support each other."