One big family

AN: Sorry this took longer than usual, been a bit of a busy bee! But there's so much going on in this chapter and there's a lot to appreciate so hope you all enjoy!

The next day unravelled a number of challenges for Mia and Charlotte as they worked side by side in the office. Word had gotten out that Reece had been arrested, leaving the office swarming with concerned parents as they took their anger out on Mia and Char one after the other. The pair did their best to silence the rumours and assure the fretting parents that Reece would be back in no time, but the truth was, they had no way of knowing that. By midday, they still hadn't heard any updates and were starting to panic.

Marjorie was in no better state whilst dealing with the same grief at her nursery, only her monologues from parents were laced with pity. After the third parent, Autumn couldn't listen to the condescending expressions of sympathy any more and was forced to intervene. She watched as her friend's mood changed, becoming more and more defeated as Marjorie began to loose hope with each passing hour.

Just as Mia was about to pick up her phone to call the police station, she was taken by surprise as it rang. "Hi Miss Roberts, this is PC Patel, I was just calling to inform you that we have Mr Nichols in custody for questioning and as a result of Miss Hale's statement, Mr Knight is currently being processed for release." Mia relaxed in her chair as she exhaled, allowing her anxieties to run out with her breath.

"Now, I can't predict the outcome at this stage, but based off of the evidence we've seen on Miss Hale's phone, and with there being no direct threat from Mr Nichols, I would imagine that he'll be discharged shortly with no more than a community order. I know it isn't an ideal outcome, but unfortunately this can only be treated as a minor case of harassment as there was no physical harm caused" the police officer continued, sounding apologetic for the circumstances.

Fear began to creep up on Mia, overcoming the anger that also lingered as a result of the news. Adam would be released, and now she was consumed with the dilemma of how she could ensure her sweetheart's safety. "Mia, what is it?" Charlotte asked as Mia put the phone down, unable to read her girlfriend's mixed expressions.

The redhead made her way over to her own desk that Charlotte now sat at, perching on the edge and making eye contact with her love. "They're letting Reece go, Char, and they have Adam in for questioning" she said taking Char's hand in her own, letting her feel the relief from the good news before burdening her with the bad. Charlotte stared into Mia's eyes delaying her reaction, sensing that there was more to be said as she noticed Mia's withdrawn demeanour. "What are you not telling me?" she questioned.

Mia looked down, avoiding Charlotte's gaze as she clung onto her hand tighter. She took a deep breath, preparing herself to relay her unsettling discovery. "The police officer thinks that Adam will be discharged with a bit of community service" the redhead explained in dismay.
"Oh" Charlotte muttered quietly, her voice laced with uncertainty. There was a long pause as Charlotte began to process Mia's words, trying to determine how the idea of Adam roaming free would make her feel.

Could she expect more unpleasant messages from him? Would she have to worry about him turning up at her place of work again? Did he know where she lived and what car she drove? Charlotte wondered just how dedicated this man was to the cause, and whether she now needed to spend every day on edge, protecting herself and more importantly, her girls. She could only hope that Adam felt remorse for his behaviour, and as a result would leave her, her friends, and her family alone. However, Charlotte couldn't be sure that was the case. She never knew Adam all that well when they worked together, and truthfully, wasn't certain of what he'd be capable of.

"Char?" Mia gently nudged her girlfriend, seeing her get lost in her own thoughts and staring into space. Charlotte managed to compose herself enough to meet Mia's gaze and squeeze her hand.
"Baby, do you think you'll be okay on your own here for a bit? I think I just need to take a walk and clear my head" Charlotte said, sounding distant. Mia furrowed her brows in concern for a moment, before remembering the promise she made to her sweetheart. To always give her space if she needed it. Mia gathered herself, ready to show Charlotte unwavering support.