The smallest man who ever lived

AN: Buckle in, she's a meaty chapter 🤭

TW: Violence, Disturbing images, Sexual harassment, Upsetting language

"There's no way I'm letting her out of my sight today."

Charlotte stirred awake, seeing her gorgeous girlfriend, who was already up and ready for work, sat in the armchair in the corner of the room. Charlotte assumed that Mia was talking about her on the phone, but she couldn't make out who was on the other end of the call. The redhead noticed Charlotte gazing in her direction and brought her call to a close. "I have to go" she said abruptly, putting her phone down and making her way over to the bed.

"Morning, baby." Mia leant over, giving Charlotte a warm kiss. "Sorry, did I wake you?"
"It's okay, what time is it?" Charlotte questioned, looking for her phone to check the time before realising that Mia still had it from the day before.
"Just gone 7." Charlotte shot up in a state of panic.
"What? Mia, why didn't you wake me sooner? I was supposed to be on the early shift" she blurted out all in a single breath as she started to spiral.

Charlotte had always said that to be late for work was irresponsible and unreliable, and always made a conscious habit to never let it happen. Mia sat down on the bed in front of her, holding her sweetheart's arms and encouraging her to take deep breaths.
"Char, baby, relax. That was Marjorie on the phone, okay? I told her that you'd be coming to work with me today, so I had her and Reece arrange a swap" Mia explained, her voice thinly veiled with excitement at the idea of having Charlotte with her at the sister nursery.

"Mia, I'm a grown woman, I don't need a babysitter" Char whined, her eyes filled with adoration for her mean redhead's protective nature.
"I don't know what you mean. I'm just extremely needy and wanted to be close to you" Mia said sarcastically with puppy dog eyes, booping Charlotte on the nose and drawing out a smile.
"Well, I suppose I can't blame you for wanting to spend the day with me. I am a catch" Charlotte said jokingly as she tucked her hair behind her ears.
"That's my girl!" Mia exclaimed, proud of her girlfriend's confidence. "Now go get yourself ready, and I'll have breakfast and a coffee waiting for you downstairs" she gestured, kissing Char once more.

Mia and Charlotte pulled into the carpark of the sister nursery just before 9am, each with their second coffee of the morning that they had picked up on the way. Funny how they both equally threw back the caffeine one after the other, topping up throughout the day like it was only water.

"Mia, when you spoke to Marjorie, did you tell her about...Adam?" Charlotte asked, voice becoming barely audible at the mention of his name.
"No, sweetheart, I wouldn't do so without your permission. It's up to you how much you choose to share with Marjorie" Mia disclosed, gently placing a hand on Char's thigh.
"I don't think I want to tell her, I know she knew him and all, but it's not like she can really do anything about it since he's only an ex member of staff" Charlotte admitted, assuming that the pain of reiterating to Marjorie wouldn't invoke any outcome.
"Okay, baby" Mia replied, giving her sweetheart a peck.

"So, where do you want me today, boss?" Charlotte questioned playfully, leaving her things with Mia in the office.
"Boss, hm? Careful sweetheart, or your 'boss' might just have to reprimand you for that attitude" Mia said in a sultry tone, smirking.
"Uh, hello?! I'm literally sat right here" Reece chimed in, announcing his presence.
"I know, and what an inconvenience that is because your desk is much sturdier than mine" Mia retaliated, taking pride in herself as she wound Reece up further. The tall blonde just rolled his eyes, unsurprised by Mia's antics at this point.
"Charlotte, you'll be in the baby room today. If that's okay with 'the boss'" Reece said to Charlotte, as he gestured to Mia sardonically. Mia winked at her sweetheart, sending Charlotte off on her way giggling.