christmas eve

Travis' POV

I shivered as I glanced over at the heat again, pissed at myself for not getting it fixed sooner. I'd forgotten about it, and now it was the middle of December. I had the fire going, but my house was pretty big and it was cold as hell.

Putting another few logs on the fire, I draped a blanket around where all three of Taylor's cats were curled up close to the flickering flames. The three of them didn't often like to stand each other's company at once, but the cold had driven them together and they were all cuddled up. I'd already taken some pictures for when Taylor got home, since she was currently out Christmas shopping with her mom. 

"Who's the best wife in the world?" I heard Taylor's chirpy voice call down from the front door. Then I heard her curse. "Jesus it's cold in here." She said.

"Yeah, I know." I sighed as she came down, combing her hair out of her face. "I'm trying."

"That's okay." Taylor came over and pecked my lips lightly. "Just gives us an excuse to cuddle with blankets all night." I chuckled at her as she shrugged out of her snow dusted jacket. "So, you want to know why I'm the best wife?"

"Aside from all the other reasons?" I asked, and Taylor scrunched up her nose at me before pulling something out of her purse and tossing it at me. I caught it automatically, glancing down.

Then I chuckled, smiling up at Taylor. She winked at me, going off into the bedroom to get changed. She'd got me some discontinued sweets from my childhood, ones we always had on Christmas Eve. I had no idea how she'd got her hands on them, but of course she'd managed it. When Taylor decided she wanted to get something for me, she didn't stop until she got it.

"Thank you baby!" I called down to my wife, and I heard her giggle from our bedroom. She came out a minute later wearing her favorite sweatpants and one of my hoodies, hair scraped up into a ponytail. Then she spotted the cats and fell to her knees next to them, doting on her little fur babies, crooning over them like the proud mother she was. I smiled at her. "Don't I get a kiss?" I asked as she peppered little ones over the cats.

"I already gave you one." Taylor smiled, but she rose to her feet, coming over and taking my face in her hands. She pulled herself up to kiss me softly, and I slipped my hands around her waist, lingering there. "Mhm, Merry Christmas Eve my love." Taylor whispered against my lips.

"Merry Christmas Eve." I whispered back. "Did you have fun shopping with your mom?"

"It was great." Taylor smiled. "But it's nice to be home to have Christmas Eve with my beautiful husband." I kissed her again, smiling. 

"So." I murmured. "Hot chocolate and Christmas movies?" It was our little tradition.

Taylor nodded, delighted, and she went to pick out some movies while I made some hot chocolate. When I was finished, Taylor covered the couch with blankets, and she waited until I was sitting down before climbing onto my lap and cuddling up there like a toddler might. She leaned back against my chest, cupping her mug between her hands as I hit play on the movie she'd picked out.

"Mhm, thank you my love." Taylor sighed as she took a sip. "It's so good."

I kissed her hair as we settled in to watch the movie, curled up close. The fire didn't fix the cold problem, so we wrapped ourselves in blankets as we sat there. Once we'd finished our hot chocolate, Taylor grabbed my hands and pulled my arms to wrap them around her waist, nuzzling her head into my neck. I held her close, overwhelmed with how damn adorable she was acting even if she didn't mean to. She was just so sweet.

"Stop wriggling." Taylor giggled as I shifted.

"It's cold." I murmured.

"Aw, poor baby." Taylor pouted sarcastically at me, and I tapped her ass.