Chapter 41

The next day, Shi Zhen helped Teacher Fei fill up the gas and sent it to his home for him to install.

Teacher Fei was very grateful and gave Shi Zhen the money for the gas and four salted duck eggs.

With the gas, Teacher Fei no longer used the coal stove, and even used the liquefied gas stove to boil water and take a bath.

This seemed quite extravagant to Shi Zhen, after all, liquefied gas was expensive, while coal briquettes were much cheaper.

Nowadays, whether in the countryside or in the town, many families have liquefied gas stoves, but in order to save money, people still use coal stoves for boiling water and so on.

However, Teacher Fei is a retired high school teacher with a pension, and his children are all grown up, so he is definitely not short of money.

Shi Zhen spent some time repairing the house and added some things, such as bamboo beds.

At this time, better beds were quite expensive. When Shi Zhen was decorating the rented house, he decided to buy bamboo beds for his family to sleep in consideration of the cost.

Bamboo is much cheaper than wood, and bamboo beds are also cheaper. As for bamboo beds, they can't be used for too many years... People at this time want to use everything they buy for decades, but after decades, who will still use them?

In the countryside, those newly built houses will be demolished and rebuilt in a dozen years.

Shi Zhen had bought a bamboo bed before, and he would rest on it when he was tired. In the future, he could sleep on it for his parents. Now he bought three smaller ones and put them in the attic for his three sisters to sleep on.

This kind of bamboo bed is also called bamboo bed in the local area. It is a bit short and made entirely of bamboo. In summer, you don’t need a mat to sleep on it, and in winter, you can sleep on it with bedding.

Shi Zhen was busy until June 20th, and then he finished the house work. At this time, Guan Baiyu’s high school entrance examination was only a few days away.

Shi Zhen was afraid that Guan Baiyu was too nervous, and he also felt that Guan Baiyu needed to rest as the exam was approaching, so he asked Guan Baiyu not to go to Xinhua Bookstore and read books at home.

That day, he went home after selling rice balls and took a nap. Seeing that there was no sun outside, he asked Guan Baiyu if he wanted to go out for a walk to relax.

“Okay.” Guan Baiyu nodded quickly. Although he didn’t need to relax, he wanted to go out with Shi Zhen!

Guan Baiyu took Shi Zhen around the village and told him some things about the village, even which grass on the road could be used to dye dumplings and which grass could be eaten.

During the period, when passing by Guan Guangguo's home, Shi Zhen noticed that the second batch of chicks raised by his family had grown up.

When Guan Guangguo took the first batch of chicks to sell, there were too many chickens on the market, so he didn't sell them at a good price.

In the end, he didn't make any money after working hard for two months.

Raising chickens requires costs and capital investment. So many costs have been invested, and Guan Guangguo doesn't want to stop raising chickens suddenly, so he can only buy another batch of chicks.

Shi Zhen was helpless when he saw this situation.

However, raising chickens is actually a small business. Under the current situation, even if Guan Guangguo loses money, it won't be much, and the money owed can be repaid in a few years.