Chapter 33

My breath caught in my throat at the sight in front of me.

We were in his backyard now, but this didn't look like just any backyard.

Lying perfectly under the main tree that took up the yard space were two pillow pallets laying side by side with a giant bowl of popcorn on the side. There was a canopy of fairy lights and light baskets hanging above it with a movie screen hanging in front of it all. He had finished everything off with the perfect touch of candles spread throughout the layout.

The perfect outdoor movie date.

Our perfect outdoor movie date.

I tried to speak, but no sound came out. My mouth was just moving as if I had been put on mute.

"So," Jake intrigues, nervously behind me, "What do you think?"

I turned to face him and noticed his gazed was glued to the floor.

I closed the space between us, titled his chin up a tad and kissed him. No words could describe how I felt right now, but maybe this could.

His hands moved to back, as he kissed me back softly.

After a few seconds, I pulled away. Our faces were still inches apart.

"I can't believe you remembered." I whispered, letting out a chortle laugh.

His lips formed into a smile, "How could I forget? You would go on and on about how you wanted the perfect outdoor movie date."

"You didn't have to do this," I gurgled, meeting his gaze.

"I know I didn't have to, but I wanted to." He shrugged.

I smiled and pressed my lips to his once again.

"I want you to meet my family," he conceded, nervously.

I gave him a confused look.

I have already met his mom plenty of times and his dad left them when Jake was little.

"Are you sure?" 

He nodded, taking my hand and intertwining our fingers. He lead me through his back door, and squeezed my hand for reassurance.

We walked into a dark room that I couldn't make out.

"Hold on a sec."

He let go of my hand, and a few seconds later I heard a click.

My jaw dropped taking sight of the kitchen. It was a chefs kitchen with a center island breakfast bar, walk-in pantry, and granite counter tops.

He reached his hand for me, and I took it.

"They're in the family room," he nodded his head towards a lit room.

I gulped, then met his gaze.

Our footsteps echoed against the wooden floor as we walked towards the living room.

We walked into a spacious family room where the  walls were painted a light cream color and mostly covered with family photos and paintings.

The room opens to a covered outdoor entertaining area with a fireplace. Sitting on a white leather couch with their backs to us, was a dark-haired man, scrolling through something on an iPad, while a blond-haired women had her head resting gently on his shoulder as she seemed to be watching TV the over-sized flat screen that hung in the center of the wall.

We stood there for a few seconds before Jake cleared his throat.

They both turned around, to look at us.