Chapter 28

"Make sure to finish pages 3-6 for homework." my Algebra teacher reminded everyone as we rushed out the door.

I opened my locker and exchanged my books for new ones. The day was half way over and I still felt like the tortoise who raced the hare.

I had free period now, and I still hadn't decided if I wanted to study in the Library, or go home and take a nap. Today had been exhausting. Sophia and I fell asleep at 2:30 last night watching movies and talking about boys. 

That was a huge mistake.

I decided to stay here, due to the fact that I was to lazy to walk all the way to my car. I dragged myself through the halls as the tardy bell chimed.

"Hey, Gabbie wait up!" I heard a familiar voice call.

I stopped dead in my tracks, considering if I should even turn around.

Rhyan caught up to me in a matter of seconds.

Everyone rushed to where they needed to be, leaving us alone in the halls.

I felt my heart accelerate. I realized that there was no escaping this time. He either came through with the idea of us being friends, or he was still willing to try to win me back. 

"Hey. Good thing I ran into you," he started, "Alone."

I turned to face him, "It must be my lucky day."

"Ouch," He pressed his hand to his chest, "That one hurt."

I laughed, dryly, punching his arm lightly.

"Hey, loosen up."

He chuckled, nodding his head, "Where you headed? I thought you'd be on your way to the mall or something."

"I was going to go home and take a nap because I'm extremely tired, but I was to lazy to walk to my car." 

We laughed a nice laugh, which felt rather nice.

He glanced down at me, "Where's your boy toy?"

I scowled at him, "He's out of town. He'll be back soon."

He pressed his lips together nodding his head, "Oh. Just make sure your soon and his soon are the same thing."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, the last time he left, he came back four years later."

I let out a breath, getting the idea that Rhyan was not letting this go anytime soon.

"He'll be back in a couple of days, okay? I should get going though. I have a test to study for."

I went to walk pass Rhyan, but he stepped in front of me.

"I'm not giving up, you know," He whispered, looking deep into my eyes.

I couldn't break the stare. My breath got caught in my throat and the only thing I could do right, was get lost in his hazel-green eyes.

Hearing those words a few months ago would have made my heart jolt, but this time it was different. There was someone else in my life who I was happy with. Someone who I know cares about me regardless of the past.

"Rhyan, we talked about this-"

"I know I can't change the past," he started, "And I know I fucked up big time, but that still doesn't change how I feel and have always felt about you. I have never met a girl like you. I have never had a girl that has made me feel the way you do, and to be honest, I was scared."

I watched how his hand slowly make it's way to my cheek and for some reason I didn't do anything to stop it. 

It was very difficult to ignore the butterflies that were flying around in my stomach. My cheek tingled at the touch of his skin. I couldn't break our stare. My eyes were locked on his gaze.

"You know you're the only person I had ever taken there." He whispered, "That's a very special place to me. It just made sense to take a very special girl."

"This is all really sweet, Rhyan, but I-"

I was interrupted by Rhyan's lips meeting with mine. The kiss was nothing like the last two. This kiss was delicate and gentle. I could feel everything Rhyan was feeling on his lips. The worst part of it all, was that I kissed back.

Once he pulled away, he pressed his forehead against mine.

"See? You can't tell me that didn't mean anything. That you didn't feel anything."

I didn't know what to say. I had no words.

"I'm not giving up on you. I'll do whatever it takes to make you mine again-"

I couldn't here this anymore. I shoved past him before he had time to say anything and ran straight into the girls bathroom. I found an open stall, and when I heard the door shut behind me, I lost it.

I silently sobbed for what seemed like countless hours. A pain of hurt struck my chest with such an incredible force, that it even hurt to breathe. 

My mind was racing, trying to think of the possible reasons why he would want to tell me this now and not before. My heart ached at the thought of the day at the fair. All the rides we rode over and over. All the constant laughter. 

I can't believe I jumped off a cliff with him, I thought to myself. 

I remembered the rush I felt as gravity pulled me down to earth and crashing into the crystal clear water at an incredible speed. I remembered how cute he looked with his messy wet hair that he would constantly flip out of his face. It felt like yesterday that his soft plump lips were on mine  for the first time, causing sparks in every part of my body.

Memories. 

That's all we had. All I could hold onto.

AN: This is such a sucky love triangle. It's still fair game, ladies and gentlemen, she could end up choosing lover boy still. But what did you guys think of Rhyan's speech? What would you have done in a situation like this?