Chapter 36

The next morning, I wake up feeling absolutely light and peaceful. There was a lingering sensation of joy in my heart, and I couldn't quite put it together.

I slowly rolled over on my side, opening my eyes. I had almost forgotten Jake was still here.

His arms were wrapped loosely around my waist, while he slept peacefully. I snuggled closer to him, and planted soft kisses on his neck. He let out a deep breath, groaning.

"I could get use to his," He mumbled.

"Me too." I smiled, against his neck.

He puts his thumb under my chin and tips it up, "You're so beautiful."

Blood rushes to my face.

"Eh, I wouldn't say beautiful, maybe a little ugly-"

"Shhh." He pulls my lower lip gently with his teeth, then fits his mouth to mine.

First so careful and then so deep and deliberate, that I can't think of anything at all but his smooth back under my hands.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't enjoying every second of this.

"Gabriella? Honey, are you home?"

I hear the voice call from downstairs, along with keys rattling, and footsteps.

It can't be.

"Oh shit." I mumbled, pulling away from Jake.

"What is it?"

"I'm not a hundred percent, but I think my parents just gave us a little surprise welcome."

I jumped out of bed, and looked at myself in the mirror. My lips were swollen, and my hair was an absolute mess. But that didn't mean that I had my boyfriend stay the night and sleep in the same bed as me while my parents were gone, right?

"Stay here, and don't come down unless I tell you, do you understand?" I whisper-hissed.

He nodded, as he put his shirt on.

I slid out the door, and dragged myself down the stairs.

I fake-yawned, and squinted my eyes shut, trying to make it seem like I just got out of bed.

Which wasn't all a lie.

"Mom? Dad? Is that you?" I called, in a sleepy voice.

At the bottom of the stairs, my mom was waiting for me with open arms. She had on a yellow sundress, with matching heels and her hair was up in a neat bun.

"Oh, Gabbie," Mom gushed, "I missed you so much!"

That explains all the phone calls.

"I missed you, too, mom."

I looked towards the kitchen and there stood my father, in khaki shorts, and a white button up.

When he saw me, he couldn't help but give me a full blown smile, that caused wrinkles to form around his cheeks.

"Hey, sweetie." He said, softly.

"Hi, dad."

We stood there in silence for a few moments, before he finally opened up his arms, pulling me in for a hug.

"I missed you," he mumbled against my hair.

"I missed you guys, too."

And I did.

But I just didn't understand. I didn't understand how leaving their sixteen year old daughter to fend for herself, while they go on vacation all the way across the county, is even possible.