Chapter 39

I was more than nervous when I saw Jake at his locker the next morning.

Wiping the invisible sweat off my forehead, I took a deep breath, and walked towards him with my head high.

"Hi," I said, cautiously, tapping on my fingers on my thighs nervously.

He stopped shoving his books into his locker and turned to face me.

A smile spread on his lips, but not a welcoming one.

"Ah, look, well if it isn't Gabriella. You are just the person I wanted to talk to."

I gave him a strange look, shifting my weight to one leg, nervously.

"Really?"

He nodded, "I wanted you to be the first to know my surprise."

With the smile on his face and the way his eyes flicked all around, made my stomach churn. This wasn't the Jake I knew.

Tucking a piece of hair behind my ear I asked, "What is it?"

He slammed his locker shut, his smile widening, "I'm moving back to Cali."

My heart dropped at the sound of the words that just escaped his lips. Just the utter thought that he's leaving again, caused an unbearable pain in my chest.

"You're leaving?" I almost whispered.

"That's right, Sweetheart. It's time to go back to where I belong."

He leaned against his locker, crossing his arms over his chest.

As I looked into his eyes, I could see how much he wanted me to stop him. I knew he didn't want to leave. But that's another problem about Jake.

He's so damn stubborn.

"Why?" I asked, wondering how I could even speak.

He let out a long sigh, looking over my head, "You see little Gabriella, when I moved down here, I had a purpose. Now that my purpose is no longer in my way, I see no point in being here. Yeah, this is the town I grew up in or whatever, but I have nothing holding me back anymore. So I told myself, why not?"

He shrugged, meeting my gaze once again.

I wonder what's going through his mind at this very moment as he looked at me like this. If he could sit here and look at his reflection in a mirror, I know he wouldn't be happy with what he's looking at.

Silence got the best of me.

What could I say? If I begged him to stay, I would look like a fool, like I can't live without him. When in reality, I can. I learned how to pretty well on my own.

"Why the long face, Sweetheart? At least I said goodbye this time." He smirked, raising his eyebrows really fast.

I felt the anger bubbling up inside me at the sound of those words that stabbed me like knives.

How could he say that to me? After he practically begged for my forgiveness? His stupid ass snuck into my house just to talk to me.

And now he wants to bring up this bull shit?

"Seriously? That's all you have to say?" I stood up straighter, looking him in the eye, "Leave then. I don't fucking care anymore. But this time, please do us all a favor and don't come back."

He chuckled, amused by my mini outburst, pushing himself off the looker, smoothly.

"You're trying to tell me what I can and cannot do now? Cut the crap, babe. Stop acting like Minnesota's all yours," he took a step closer to me, "You know you're going to miss me when I'm gone, anyway. So do us both a favor and stop trying to act all tough and heartless, okay?"