Chapter 5

"There. Good as new. Now you relax, okay, mate? We're going to need you when the rest of them wake up," Nik compelled as he fed the human some of his blood.

"They're dead. They're all dead," Ray said as he shook.

"He's through his transition. He should be feeling better soon."

"So is this your master plan? Build an army of hybrid slaves?" Stefan asked, looking around at all the bodies.

"No, not slaves. Soldiers, comrades."

"For what, might I ask?"

"You don't arm yourself after war has been declared, Stefan. You build your army so big that no one ever dares pick the fight."

"What makes you so sure that they'll be loyal?"

"Well, it's not difficult to be loyal when you're on the winning team. That's something you'll learn when you shake that horribly depressive chip off your shoulder." Ray started coughing slightly and I crouched down in front of him, eyebrows furrowed.

"That's why you're keeping me around?"

"Nik, take a look at this," I said quietly as blood started coming from Ray's eyes. Nik sat next to Ray, pulling his face around to look at it.

"You'll know why I'm keeping you around when I've decided that I want you to know." He let go of Ray's head, "Something's wrong."

Stefan bent down, looking, "That shouldn't be happening, should it?"

"Well, obviously."

"You said it would feel better? Why doesn't it feel better?" Ray asked, looking up at Nik.

"Some master race, huh?" I commented, standing in front of Ray.

"Lose the attitude," Nik glared as the girl from earlier shot up, gasping. "Derek, come feed your girlfriend." As Nik held out Derek's arm, Ray shot up, hitting me as he ran past and out of the campsite. I stumbled back, surprised, looking in the direction he had gone. Stefan looked over at Nik, silently asking what to do. "Go get him." Stefan disappeared, going after Ray. After a few minutes, Stefan still hadn't come back yet, so Nik went to go look for him while I stayed at the camp, all of the wolves starting to wake.

***

Stefan was still gone by the time the sun had set and Nik had started a fire. "Bad news my friend. It's the end of the road for you," Nik told Derek, biting into his neck. Derek's girlfriend started walking towards Nik, bleeding from the eyes. "Careful, love. There's only one alpha here." I looked around at the rest of the hybrids, confused.

"Nik, it's happening to all of them," I told him, backing up as one of them came towards me, a deadly look in his eye.

"Bloody hell," I heard Nik mutter as the hybrid lunged at me. I ducked out of the way, only to have him grab me by the throat and slam me onto the ground. My eyes widened as his teeth grew out, getting awfully close to my face. He was pulled off of me and I got up in time to see Nik rip his heart out. Another came at me from behind and I turned, snapping her neck before ripping her heart out. More were coming at us, some of them were just dropping dead. As I looked around at all of them, I was tackled from the side, teeth digging into my shoulder. I let out a scream, putting my hands on the hybrid's face and turning his head, pulling it clean off the shoulders. Hardly having any time to breath, I jumped up, ripping the heart out of another hybrid. Nik and I finished off the hybrids that were still standing and I took a seat on the log near the fire pit, hissing as the fabric of my shirt pressed against my wound. "Let me see," Nik demanded, crouching down in front of me. I hesitated before pulling the collar of my shirt down, exposing my shoulder.

"I'm fine. It'll heal," I said quietly, moving my shirt back into place. He held his wrist up to me and I shook my head, moving it away. "I'm fine, really. I'm an Original. It's not like it'll kill me."

"I know, but it would make me feel better if you did. Just to make sure it doesn't have an effect on you," he said gently, holding his wrist up again. Nodding, I grabbed hold of his arm, letting my eyes change and teeth grow. I bit down on his arm, the sweet taste of his blood filling my mouth. Letting my eyes flutter closed, I drank more, holding his arm closer to me. Slowly pulling away, I looked away, trying to avoid his gaze. Nik raised a hand, using his thumb to wipe blood off of my bottom lip. Meeting his eyes, he leaned in, kissing me gently. I heard Stefan coming towards the camp and I moved away, clearing my throat. I grabbed two beers from one of the coolers, handing one to Nik as I sat next to him on the log. Stefan walked up, dropping Ray's dead body on the ground. "They went rabid," Nik said as Stefan looked around at all the bodies. "Some of them, we killed. The others just bled out. In the end, they're all dead." It was quiet for a moment before Nik threw his bottle of beer at the ground, yelling out. "I did everything I was told! I should be able to turn them. I broke the curse. I killed a werewolf. I killed a vampire. I killed the doppelganger. You look like hell."

"Well, last I checked, I was dying," Stefan stated, holding up his arm, "And you don't want to heal me." Nik looked down at Ray's body. "I had to take him out. I didn't have a choice. I failed you, I'm sorry. Do what you have to do." I sat there, watching, waiting for Nik to make a move.

"It should have worked," he turned, picking up a beer bottle and biting into his hand, letting the blood drip into the bottle. He held it out to Stefan, "Bottoms up. We're leaving." He started walking away, turning back to look at the dead hybrids. "It appears you're the only comrades I have left." Stefan took a sip from the bottle, tossing it to the ground as I stood, following Nik.

Here's the next chapter! I added a bit of a sweet moment between the two. I thought it was kinda cute :)

I just want to thank all of you who voted for the first book! It really means a lot to me.

I don't think I'm going to do author's notes at the end of chapters anymore. If there is anything important I need to tell you guys, I will just make it a separate part.

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2015.