Chapter 24

"Hello there. I don't believe we've properly met," the young man said. "I'm Kol."

"Yes, I remember you from the other night," I told him as he spun me out, then back in.

"And I remember you. Though, how could someone forget a beauty such as yourself," Kol smiled, flirting. "You're Nik's plaything."

"No, not 'plaything'. 'Plaything' would imply that I belong to him and I most certainly do not belong to him. I don't belong to anyone," I glared.

"Nik would like to speak with you. He wants you to meet him upstairs in the art room," he told me, changing the subject.

"I can't. My mother is here and she's watching. She'll get suspicious if she sees me leave with him."

"Well, then it's a good thing he already left."

"What?" I asked, looking around for him.

"He left after switching partners." I stopped searching, not seeing Nik anywhere.

"I won't be able to slip away without my mother following," I told him, peeking at her from the corner of my eye.

"Then I'll distract her," he shrugged slightly.

"Yeah, right. You have to be really good at -," I stopped mid-sentence, glaring up at Kol, who had a smirk on his face. "Remove your hand from my ass before I rip it off and shove it up yours." He rolled his eyes, chuckling. I sighed, "Fine. Just make sure that she doesn't know you're trying to distract her. She'll know, believe me. She's a clever woman." He nodded his head and we were quiet. "Thank you, Kol."

He gave me a small smile, spinning me out, "Now go." I nodded, turning and walking towards the exit as he walked over to where my mother stood and I prayed he did a good job. Making my way up the stairs, I followed the hall down to the room near the very end. It was Nik's art room, where he did most of his painting and sketching. He was a fantastic artist, I'd seen almost every single one of his works. I pushed the door open slowly, poking my head around the corner. Nik stood at a table, looking down at the papers that were on it.

"You know, I think my favorite sketch that I've ever done of you is from about ten years ago. We were staying in a cottage in Ireland, out in the country. It was in the morning, you had gotten up really early and went out onto the balcony. You sat there, wrapped up in a blanket with your head resting on a pillow, watching the sunrise. And I remember getting up and finding you there, just as the sun was coming over the top of a hill and I asked you what you were doing. You told me that you'd always loved watching the sunrise." I smiled and walked over to where he stood, remembering the day he was talking about.

"You still have it?" I asked, looking down at it slightly surprised.

"Of course. Why throw something so beautiful away? I mean, yes, there are plenty of other pieces of you that show how beautiful you are, but none compare to this one," he said, as I looked at the other papers with my face on it. There were some of me reading, laughing, even sleeping. And he was right. They all seemed to have their own beauty.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you about my mother until tonight. I should have because it would have made this evening a lot better than it's gone so far. Hell, I don't even know how she's here right now. I killed her, I drank every last drop of blood from her body, I watched the light leave her eyes. Yet here she is, dancing and mingling with the people in this town. But the worse part, is that I don't have the faintest idea on how to get rid of her. For good this time."

"We'll think of something. There's got to be a way to kill her." I nodded, lost in thought as I stared over at the blazing fire. There is always a way to kill someone. So how do I kill a witch who came back to life hundreds of years after her death? A strand of hair was brushed away from my face and I looked over at Nik, who was already staring at me. His hand lingered by my face, thumb barely touching my cheek. He started to lean in when a knock sounded on the door, breaking us away from our moment. Going over and opening the door, I saw Caroline on the other side, a slightly worried look on her face.

"Hey, sorry to interrupt, but I think your mother might be getting bored of Kol," she warned.

"Thank you, Caroline." I turned back towards Nik, "I should go. Before my mother comes looking for me." I quickly kissed him on the cheek before following Caroline back downstairs.

I AM A TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE PERSON AND I AM SO SORRY!!! You guys haven't had a new chapter in almost a month! I meant to update two weeks ago, but I was using my laptop to watch Heroes and completely forgot!

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter and that cute moment between Nik and Ellie.

Just a forewarning, I have a very busy month ahead of me. My grandma is coming out to visit and then a couple of days later, my aunt, uncle & two cousins are coming out. So, forgive me if I miss an update or update at a late hour.

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2015/2016.