Chapter 25

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Waiters are coming around with champagne. I invite you all to join me in raising a glass." I grabbed two glasses off of the tray that the waiter offered, handing one to my mother. "It provides me with no greater joy than to see my family back together as one. I'd like to thank you all for being part of this spectacular evening. Cheers," Esther concluded, holding her glass up. I lifted mine up, muttering a 'cheers' before taking a small sip. My eyes wandered around the room as everyone drank, stopping on Nik, who glanced over at me, a smile on his face. Lifting the drink to my lips again, I took a bigger sip before placing it on a passing tray.

"I'm going to go wander in the gardens, get some air. I'll be back in a bit," I said to my mother, who nodded but kept her eyes on me as I walked out. I let myself wander aimlessly throughout the backyard, lost in thought. When my mind finally came back to reality, I found myself standing in front of a fountain, with Nik at my side.

"When I told Kol to tell you that I wanted to talk, I didn't mean about your mother," he said, looking out at the fountain.

"I know. But I had to change the subject. I couldn't talk about what you wanted to talk about. I still can't."

"Why not?"

"Because we can't do this anymore. Whatever it is that's going on between us; it has to end," I told him, tears forming in my eyes.

"What? No, it doesn't. I know you're scared of her, but she doesn't have to know." He turned me so I was facing him, lifting my face so he could look me in the eye.

"No, Nik. I'm not going to sneak around behind her back. I'm not going to lie to her because she knows when I'm lying and she'll get suspicious. If she were to find out, she would kill you and everyone in your family and I can't have that, Nik. I can't." The tears fell from my eyes as I tried wiping them away, sniffling.

"Ellie, don't do this. Please, don't do this," he whispered, resting his forehead against mine, tears in his eyes.

I shook my head, putting my hands on top of his, "I'm sorry."

"But I -," I closed my eyes tight, shaking my head. Leaning in slightly, I pressed my lips against his, kissing him softly. Pulling away, I lifted his hands off my face, holding onto them tightly.

"I know," I whispered, slowly walking away. Wrapping my arms around my torso, I tried holding in the sobs that threatened to rack my body as I made my way around the house, not wanting people to see me like this, especially my mother. I got around to the front of the house, seeing my driver standing by the car. "Take me home," I stated as he opened the door for me. As soon as it was shut, I laid down across the seats, letting the tears come flooding out.

So...that happened. Sorry it's so short!

I've been meaning to update for two days now, but my Grandma is here and we're traveling to see other family, so I haven't had the chance...or wifi :)

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2015/2016.