Chapter 23

"Mother? Are you home?" I called, shutting the front door behind me. Not getting a response, I sighed, kicking my shoes off. I had been out for a couple of hours, hunting and I didn't want to get dirt or blood on the floor. Making my way upstairs, I started stripping off my bloody flannel shirt, leaving me in only a tank top. Entering my room, I froze, seeing a box sitting on my bed. Looking down at it, I saw that there was an envelope on top, 'Elizabeth Sawyer' written across it in big cursive letters. I quickly opened the envelope, pulling the card out.

"Please join the Mikaelson Family this evening at seven o'clock for dancing, cocktails, and celebration," I read aloud. I stared at it, wondering if it would be a good idea to go. I knew my mother would want to come along. Sighing, I set the card off to the side, looking over at the box. I lifted the lid, seeing another card sitting on top of some tissue paper. It read: 'I've always loved you in blue. Yours, Nik.' Moving the tissue paper, I revealed a gorgeous blue gown. My mouth dropped slightly as I held it up. "You never go cheap, do you, Nik?" I muttered, setting it back in the box. Hearing the front door open, I quickly covered the gown back up and tucked the note in my pocket. A knock sounded at my door and I called out, "Come in!"

"What's this?" My mother asked, walking over to where I stood.

"It's the gown that I'm wearing tonight. The Mikaelson family has invited us to a ball, it seems," I told her, handing her the invitation. She read over it before looking back at me.

"Well, then it looks like we'll need to go find a dress for me as well." Setting the invitation down, she turned, walking out of the room.

" Setting the invitation down, she turned, walking out of the room

The driver pulled up to the Mikaelson's, stopping in the driveway. A man came over, opening the door for us and I quickly thanked him, looking at all the people who were arriving. As we walked up the steps, I flashed my invitation, not bothering to look at the person standing there. I was too distracted by the decorations and the people. The place had been decorated beautifully and everyone wore fancy dresses. My eyes wandered through the faces, stopping on Nik, who was talking to someone I didn't know. I quickly averted my eyes as my mother came up next to me, looking around as well. "What a beautiful place they've got here," she commented, grabbing a glass off of a tray as it passed.

"Yes, it is. Why don't we wander into the ballroom?" I suggested, noticing Nik's eyes were trained on me. She nodded and we made our way through the crowd, into the other room. We mingled with people and she split away from me to go introduce herself to other people. I was glad to be away from her, even if only for a little while. A hand tapped me on the shoulder and I turned slowly, afraid that it would be Nik, but I found a familiar blonde standing there, in a blue and purple dress. "Caroline! You look gorgeous!" I told her, giving her a hug.

"Thanks, you look good too. I mean, holy crap, that dress! Where did you get it?" She asked and I looked down at it.

"Nik bought it for me. I found it sitting in a box on my bed this morning."

"Wow. And speaking of the devil," she said, looking over my shoulder. I turned my head slightly, seeing Nik quickly making his way over to us.

"Ladies, may I say you both look amazing tonight. Thank you for coming. Caroline, might I have a word with Ellie for a moment?" He asked, his hand resting on my lower back. She gave me a quick smile before walking away. He waited a moment until she was out of earshot before looking at me. "You've been avoiding me," he stated as I took a sip of my champagne.

"Have I?"

"Yes. And I don't just mean tonight." I looked down at my hands before looking back at him. This wasn't how I wanted to tell him, but I had no choice now.

"Nik, I have to -," I stopped feeling a pain shoot through my head. Clearing my throat, I started again, "Niklaus, there is someone I'd like you to meet. This is Maeve," she stepped up next to me, a smile on her face, "my mother." I noticed his eyes widen slightly as he glanced over at me. "Mother, this is Niklaus Mikaelson, one of our hosts for this evening," I told her, afraid to meet his eyes. She held her hand out to him, which he brought up to his lips, kissing the back of it.

"Yes, I knew your mother, Esther. She was a lovely woman," my mother commented.

"She's here tonight."

"Is she?"

"Yes, you should go look for her. I believe she's just in the next room. I'm sure she would love to see you again," Nik suggested.

"I think I will. It was very nice meeting you, Niklaus." He sent her a smile and she turned to look at me. "Don't slouch, Elizabeth. Ladies do not slouch," she hissed quietly, not caring that Nik was still standing in front of us. A jolt went through my body as I straightened out my shoulders.

"Yes, mother." She walked away and Nik went to speak, but I held a finger up to my lips before tapping my ear. He closed his mouth, seeming to understand. I waited a second longer before finally speaking. "She has great hearing, borderline supernatural," I told him. He opened his mouth to speak, but was cut off again.

"If everyone could gather, please," Elijah called out and Nik left my side, going to stand on the steps with the rest of his siblings. "Welcome, thank you for joining us. You know, whenever my mother brings our family together like this, it's tradition for us to commence the evening with a dance." A woman came down the steps, stopping not far from Kol and I assumed that was Esther. "Tonight's pick is a century's-old waltz, so if all of you could please find yourselves a partner, please join us in the ballroom." I knew Nik would want me to be his partner, so I turned, hoping to make my escape into another room, but Nik quickly appeared, stopping me.

"Shall we?" Nik asked, holding his arm out to me. I looked down at it before looking back up to his face.

"I don't think that's a very good idea," I told him, looking around for my mother.

"It's one dance. Please." Hesitating, I finally nodded my head, wrapping my arm around his and letting him guide me into the ballroom, where other couples were already lined up, ready to dance. 'Give Me Love' by Ed Sheeran began to play as everyone started moving. "I thought your mother -,"

I cut him off, "Nik, can we please not talk about her right now? I'd rather enjoy this evening." He nodded, looking down at me. Feeling his stare, I glanced over, "What?" He spun me around, pulling me into him, like the rest of the couples.

"You look absolutely beautiful. You are quite possibly the most beautiful woman in the room. In any room, actually," he complimented.

"Thank you. And for the dress as well. I definitely wasn't expecting it," I admitted.

"Well, I like those I love to have the best," he said nonchalantly and my eyebrows furrowed slightly, confused by his statement. I was about to ask him what he meant when I was spun into another set of arms.

Hope you enjoyed! 

I wanted to try something different with the new multimedia thing. I know putting a picture in halfway through the chapter is a little weird, but I wanted you to see the dresses before they get to the party. If you are on mobile and are having difficulty seeing it, or are just having difficulties with it in general, let me know and I'll move things around.  

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2015/2016.