Chapter 20

Knocking on the door, I waited. Matt came around the corner, giving me a confused look. "Tyler called Nik. Said that he bit Caroline," I said after he had opened the door.

"Klaus made him do this to her. He would have never done something like this."

"I know. And I know I'm not exactly the person you want to see right now, but I can help her."

"How?"

"I brought Nik's blood. It'll cure her," I told him, holding up the glass of blood. "Please ask the Sheriff to invite me in."

"Why should I believe you?" He asked, eyes narrowed.

"Because I'm her friend, Matt. And so are you. Neither of us want to lose her, so please," I begged.

"Come in," a voice said from behind Matt. He turned, both of us looking at the Sheriff, who had tears in her eyes. I nodded my head, slowly taking a step inside. Walking into Caroline's room, she looked up at me, wrapped up in a blanket on her bed.

"Hey," I whispered.

"Hi," she said, a small smile making its way onto her face. "I haven't seen you in a while."

"Yeah, I've been a little busy. Nik's been making up for leaving and then, of course, for letting Mikael dagger me." She laughed, which then turned into coughing. I sat down on the edge of her bed, moving the blanket back to look at her wound. She winced and I looked away. "I'm sorry this happened to you, Caroline. I didn't know Nik told Tyler to bite you. If I had, I would have done something sooner." She shook her head. "Your bracelet is beautiful," I told her, touching the cold metal around her wrist.

"Tyler gave it to me for my birthday."

"I love birthdays."

"Aren't you like a billion or something?" She asked and I chuckled.

"Something like that. How do you feel?"

"Like I'm dying."

"I could let you die, if that's what you want. But of course, it would make me sad, losing a friend. And your mother would probably hunt me down for letting you. I've thought about it myself once or twice over the centuries. A lot of people hate me, want me dead. So who would miss me in the end? But, then I met Nik and Rebekah, then I came here to Mystic Falls and met you. I'll let you in on a little secret. There's a whole world out there waiting for you, great cities and art and music; genuine beauty. And you can have all of it, you can have a thousand more birthdays."

"I don't want to die," she said quietly, tears in her eyes.

I smiled slightly, "I was hoping you might say that." I helped her sit up, bringing the glass to her lips. She slowly gulped it down. "Happy birthday, Caroline." I stayed with her until she fell asleep, then slowly got up, walking out of the house. As I walked home, I called Nik.

"How is she?"

"She'll be fine. She's sleeping now. Thank you, Nik, really. You have no idea how much that meant to me."

"Of course, kitten. Are you coming over to the house?"

I shook my head, even though he couldn't see it, "No. I think I'm going to go home. I'll see you later." We said our goodbyes and I hung up, walking up the steps to my house. As I unlocked the door, I could feel another presence inside. Stepping in, I walked through the downstairs slowly. I stopped in the doorway of the kitchen, feeling the presence behind me. When I turned, my breath caught in my throat, eyes going wide as I backed up. "Mother."

Such a sweet moment between Caroline and Ellie. This could be the start of a great friendship. (Am I the only one who sang the first half of that? Like from High School Musical? 'This could be the start of something new, it feels so right to be here with you.' Okay, I'll stop.)

Mother?! What?! What's gonna happen there?! Guess you'll have to wait and find out :)

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2015/2016.