Chapter 22

"When you said this place looked way better than before, you were right. This place looks -," I stopped in my tracks, "Elijah."

"Hello, Elizabeth," he said, turning to face me.

"You're alive." My eyes flickered over to Nik as Elijah slowly walked closer.

"Yes."

"Look, Elijah, about daggering you -," he cut me off by rushing at me, but Nik blocked his path, standing in front of me.

"It wasn't her idea, Elijah. I told her to do it. There is no need to harm her." Elijah glared at me before turning away and I relaxed, my shoulders slumping slightly.

***

"Sorry, I'm late," I called, walking into the dining room, where the two sets of brothers were sitting, having dinner. "I was needed elsewhere." Truth was, I was held up by my mother. I couldn't tell her about Nik, so I had to make up a very convincing lie.

"Hungry?" Elijah asked, gesturing to his plate.

I shook my head, "No, I'll just have a drink. I need it after the day I've had." I sat down in the chair next to Nik, taking a long sip from a glass that was set in front of me.

"So why don't we move this evening along and discuss the terms of this proposal?" Elijah spoke up.

"Well, it's very simple. Klaus gets his coffin back. In exchange, he and the Original extended family, including you, Ellie, leave Mystic Falls forever. Me, Stefan, and Elena live happily ever after, no grudges," Damon concluded, taking a sip of wine.

"Deal sounds fair, brother."

"I don't think you understand. I can't do that because Elena's doppelganger blood ensures that I will always have more hybrids to fight those that oppose me. I will never leave her behind," Nik stated, standing from his chair. "Let's say I do leave her here, under your protection. What then? How long before one of you turns her into a vampire? Or worse. How long before she dies, caught between your feuding? You see, each one of you truly believes that you're the one that can protect her. And that is simply a delusion. Gentlemen, the worst thing for Elena Gilbert is the two of you." It was silent as Damon and Stefan let his words sink in.

"I'm going to get some air," Damon said finally.

"Let me deal with this," Elijah stood, following.

"All this talk has made me thirsty. What do you say, Stefan? Can I interest you in a little after dinner drink?" Nik asked as one of the compelled waitresses walked over, standing in front of him. He bit down before Stefan could answer. "Delicious. Aged to perfection," Nik commented, letting the girl drop to the floor.

"Well, I guess the only reason you agreed to this evening, Klaus, is to drive a wedge between me and my brother," Stefan said, standing and walking around the table.

"Oh, no, you're doing that well enough on your own," I commented, taking a sip from my drink.

"Because of Elena, you're going to lose your brother, and you'll only have yourself to blame."

"What do you say, Klaus?" Damon asked, walking back in the room. "It's time for you to put something on the table. We've made our offer. Now you counter."

"Okay, I offer Elena's future happiness. You see, what she needs right now is to be rid of you lot, and to fall in love with a human. Maybe that nice football player, you know the blonde one."

"Matt Donovan, really?"

"Yeah, why not? They'll marry, live a long and fruitful life, and pop out a perfect family."

"And continue the Petrova bloodline. Every few hundred years, you'll have a new doppelganger to drain and never run out of hybrids. Right, Klaus?" Stefan finished for him.

"Consider it a small return on my investment in her well-being. See, after you hand me back the coffin, I'll ensure her safety for the rest of her natural life. You know it's what's best for her. So, what do you say, Stefan? Do we have a deal?" Nik stood, moving over to stand in front of the fire and Stefan did the same. Nik held his hand out to seal the deal, which Stefan took.

"Nice try, Klaus, but no deal." Nik twisted Stefan's arm around, kicking him in the back of the leg so that he went down on one knee before sticking Stefan's hand in the fire. Elijah flashed over to Damon, pinning him against the wall as I sat there, watching it all happen.

"Now bring me my coffin before I burn him alive."

"I'll get it," Damon glared.

"Go with him, brother. You keep him honest. And when you return, I will make good on my promise to you and I will hand over our family." Elijah nodded slightly before turning and walking out of the room.

"Go ahead, kill me. I know you'll do it when he brings the coffin," Stefan said, groaning in pain. Nik lifted him up, moving him away from the fire.

"You really have given up, haven't you? Where's the fight? Where's the Ripper? Elijah." I turned, seeing Elijah and Damon walk back into the room with one of the waitresses holding a covered platter. "Why haven't you left?"

"Well, where are your manners, brother? You forgot dessert." Elijah lifted the cover, revealing two daggers.

"What have you done?"

"What have you done? See, I've learned not to trust your vulgar promises, Klaus. We're doing this on my terms now." A figure walked up behind Elijah, going over to Nik.

"Kol."

"Long time, brother." Nik backed away before speeding over to the platter to grab one of the daggers. "Finn, don't." Another figure beat him there, shoving one through his hand. Nik went to leave another way, but Rebekah stood there, shoving a stake into his stomach.

"This is for our mother," she said, pushing him backwards. Kol grabbed his arms, holding him in place.

"Damon, Stefan, we should leave. Now. This is family business that doesn't involve us," I told them with wide eyes, slowly moving towards the exit. 

Hope you all enjoyed! Things are gonna get pretty good in the next couple chapters. (At least, I think it will.)

I've taken yet another break from writing the next book. I know, I know. I just haven't had the motivation and I've been kinda busy trying to find a new roommate. You probably don't want to hear any more of my problems/excuses, so I'm done.

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2015/2016.