Chapter 27

My phone dinged next to me and I reached over, not taking my eyes off my book. I finished the page I was on before looking down at my phone, reading the text. It was from Nik.

'We need to talk. It's important.'

I stared at the phone for a second, sighing. Marking the page I was on, I put my book in my purse, throwing some cash on the table and getting up, walking towards the door of the Grill. I got in my car and just sat there, not ready to see him. He said it was important, so it must be. Getting to Nik's house, I slowly got out of the car, walking up the steps. The bright lights from the house lit up the night sky. I rang the doorbell, not sure if he wanted me to just walk in. Turning, I looked out at the driveway, wondering if he was even home. The door opened and I turned back around, meeting Nik's eyes. "Hi," I said, quietly.

"Hey, come in." He stepped to the side and I brushed past him, avoiding his gaze. I stopped in the foyer, looking at the staircases and the piano that sat in between them.

"Wow. This place looks so much bigger when it's not full of people," I commented, looking around.

"Yeah," he agreed and it was quiet, neither of us knowing what to say.

"Um, you said we needed to talk? And that it was important?"

"Yes. It seems the Salvatore brothers have weapons that can kill us."

"What?" My eyes snapped up to his, eyebrows furrowed. "How is that possible? I thought you said your family burned that tree down?"

"We did. But another grew and was used to build Wickery Bridge. Rebekah burned the remaining pieces, but it seems she missed some. Damon and Stefan made twelve stakes out of them to kill us, one of which they used on Finn."

"Finn's dead?" He nodded his head. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be. Finn was a fool."

"He was still your brother, Nik," I reminded him. "Where are the other eleven?"

"Stefan gave up nine of them and they were destroyed immediately. I told him to bring me the other two or I start killing people." I rolled my eyes.

"So then if you have most of them, why are you telling me this?"

"Because I want you to be careful. There's still two of them out there that can be used against you."

"I'm always careful, Nik."

"Well then be extra careful," he said sternly.

"Fine. Thank you for the information. I'll make sure to keep an eye out for any potential danger," I replied, slightly frustrated as I started walking towards the front door.

"Ellie – are you bleeding?" I froze, my hand on the doorknob.

"What?" I looked down, seeing a red stain spreading across the side of my shirt. "Damn it." Nik came over, lifting the shirt to look at the bandage that was soaked in blood.

"What the hell happened?"

"Nothing."

"That is not nothing, Ellie. That's bad. Why aren't you healing?" He gently touched the wound with his fingertips, but I smacked his hand away, hissing in pain.

"It's just a little magic thing. It's no big deal," I muttered, pulling my shirt down and opening the front door. It had barely opened a foot when Nik put his hand up, shutting it.

"You need blood."

"No, blood won't help. It has to heal on its own," I told him.

"Fine, then. I am going to clean you up and while I'm doing so, you're going to tell me exactly what happened," he glared before dragging me upstairs to his bathroom. He started digging around the cupboards as I stood, leaning against the doorframe. "I don't hear an explanation."

"Seriously, Nik. It's no big deal. It'll heal. It's just going to take longer than normal."

"How did you even get hurt in the first place?" He took a seat on the edge of the tub, motioning me over.

"My mother was angry that I left the party early the other night. She said it was rude and disrespectful to our hosts when they had invited us to such a nice evening," I explained, standing in between his legs and holding the side of my shirt up. "She said she was going to teach me some manners."

"So then why aren't you healing?"

"My mother did a spell. Ancient magic that nobody uses anymore. It allows her to inflict pain without me healing like normal. It forces me to heal like a human. Makes the pain worse. And like I said, blood doesn't seem to speed it up either," I told him quietly as he pressed an alcohol covered cloth to it. It started to sting and I winced, taking a deep breath.

"You can't let her do this to you," Nik said softly.

"I don't have a choice." He finished putting the bandage on and I stepped away, pulling my shirt back down.

"Ellie," Nik sighed, catching my hand before I could walk away.

"Nik, don't. We can't," I whispered, voice shaking slightly. Slowly taking my hand out of his, I sped out of the bathroom and out to my car, driving away.

Hope you enjoyed. And for my readers in the U.S. I hope you had a fun July 4th.

So, I'm supposed to writing the next book, but instead I'm working on my current obsession. I'm trying to get back on track with it, but there will most definitely be a bit of a wait for Book 3. Sorry.

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2015/2016.