Chapter 27

*5th year*
"Please! It's just one hogsmede trip! They can survive without you for one trip! I wanted to show you the new ink that they have, it's so cool... When you write with it the colour chan-"

"Cookie you know I can't ditch them like that, I said that I'd go with them."

"But you always say that you'll go with them.. I don't think you've ever gone to hogsmede with me."

"I'm sorry Cookie."

"It's fine. I'll just ask lily if she will look at the inks with me" Layla smiled brightly and ran off to find her friend, leaving Remus to think about the conversation that had just occurred. It's true that he had never gone to hogsmede with his friend, mostly because he knew that spending even more time with her and listening to her rambles about Sirius would kill him even more. He just wasn't sure that his heart could take it much longer, so he did the selfish thing and refused to go with his best friend.

*6th year*

"He said yes. He actually agreed to go on a date. With me." She practically sang the words as she collapsed onto her best friend, who was currently reading by the fireplace.

"You asked him?" Remus replied, his voice wavering slightly.

"Yes. Isn't it amazing Remus? And he said 'yes'" she sighed contently. Remus couldn't help but smile at the joy on his friend's face, despite the fact that he didn't put it there.

"That's amazing Cookie. I'm so excited for you!"

"Oh thank you Teddy.. I just can't believe it's actually happening!" She didn't seem to notice the smile slowly dropping to become a sadder one, instead wrapped up in her own date planning world.

"Are you planning the date or is he?" Remus asked his friend genuinely.

"I think he is, don't want to push him too much in case he thinks I'm annoying though!"

"No one in their right mind would see anything but perfect when they look at you." Remus thought, not realising that he had said it until his friend blushed and threw her arms around him.

"Aww thank you Teddy!" His face became redder and redder.

*present time*

And she still didn't know. She still fawned over Sirius Black, still didn't realise his love for her which had grown since their first meeting. He knew that he was a monster, that she didn't deserve to be in constant danger because of his existence. No one did. But still he selfishly moped around, feeling sorry for himself and not acknowledging how happy Sirius could, and will, make Layla. His best friend. And nothing more.