Chapter 15

Picture of Liana 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"With Darrel in charge, it was only a matter of time." Her dad tells her mom, jumping to Valery's defense. "For all we know, they needled her into acting. Maybe it wasn't luck Trent made it back with that leaf."

"Maybe they just don't want us to know their secrets," her mom fires back, turning her attention back to her husband.

Valery's dad reaches out, taking his wife's hand in his.

"They could have killed Trent in the field. But they followed him back," he says softly, looking her in the eyes. "How else would they have known exactly where he lived? Exactly who he's close to and the best time to catch him off guard? They've been watching him ever since he stole it."

Beth huffs, crossing her arms to keep her hands out of his reach. He turns to look at Valery instead.

"The council is pretty much the same," he says. "No one is able to decide on anything. You stirred things up, there's no doubt about that. But you also proved it's possible to get there and back. You destroyed a killer beast, and that's going to make things easier on us too. Trent told us what you went through. It won't be overlooked. It was amazing teamwork and bravery with solid resolution and follow through. It's what every Guardian needs."

Valery's mom slaps her husband across the chest."Don't praise her!" Her mom snaps.

"Beth." Her dad sighs, looking at her. "Can you honestly say you wouldn't have done it for me? I know I would have left for you." Her mom falls silent as her gaze softens and her arms fall to her sides. "Someone needs to tell this girl how well she did." He pauses to grab ahold of his wife's hands, holding them to his chest. "Making it there and back is nothing short of a miracle. And everything she's done on top of it? It's incredible and she deserves to know that. Council is going to tear her to pieces. She needs us on her side."

"We need to get back," she tells him softly. She turns her head to look at Valery. "My advice for you? Be careful when it comes to your love life and work entwining. It's not easy on the heart." Her mom pulls out of his hold and walks over to Valery, leaning over to give her a hug. "I AM glad you're home. Olivia spent a whole lot of time healing you up, make sure you thank her." Her mom murmurs and walks out of the room.

"Get some rest." Her dad assures her. He leans over and kisses Valery's forehead.

"Are you two alright?" Valery asks as he straightens back up.

"We're fine, the council is chaotic right now. That's all." Her dad assures her. He follows Beth, closing the door behind him.

The moment the door closes, her tears start to fall as her anger disappears. She lets herself fall into the pillow, hiding her face from the world.

What did we do?

The silence is deafening, nothing to drone out her thoughts besides the clicking of the clock on the wall.

War, because of us. Valery groans. Uncle Darrel used to be such a kind person... He taught my mother how to ride a bike in their childhood. Taught me to read. Now I'll never be able to get the image of him stabbing Trent out of my head. One day I will make him burn. Damn them. The Devil's Own and the council. All we did was save Trent, yet we're the villains of this story? Total bullshit.

A knock on the door. "Brought you some food." Trent calls.

She sniffles, shifting in the bed so that she's propped up on her side and able to wipe away her tears.