Chapter 31

Valery standing at the edge of her and her dad's favorite spot

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A podium stands at the center of the memorial, adorned with floral wreaths and photographs of the departed guardians, capturing moments of joy and camaraderie. Candles flicker, their flames dancing in rhythm with the emotions of those in attendance.

"By now, you all know of the attack on our beloved city." Ash starts. "Thanks to the unending efforts of our crew, the Devil's Own were beaten back and the majority of the city folk have been saved. However, it's a sorrowful win. We took a hard hit. Their goal was to wipe out the council. And they almost succeeded. Cliff, Ruben, Axel, Kayli, and Kaycee, have joined the Angels. Friends. Family. And." Ash pauses to look at Valery, sorrow deep in his eyes. "Father. None deserved to leave us like this. The last." He pauses to steady his breath.

"The last life they claimed was Liana. Her presence here will be greatly missed. All paid a heavy price to help give us this victory. May the angels grant them a place of honor in the heavens. But we proved we cannot be pushed and bullied. We are starting to hold our ground and make a statement. Show them we won't go down easily." Ash pauses, looking around at the gathered Guardians, all dressed in dark colors, eyes haunted.

"Everyone's hearts are heavy. Each person here has lost someone they know and loved." Valery clings to Trent as tears start to roll down her face. Trent wraps his arms tight around her. Valery keeps her eyes on her mother up on stage, in line with all the other council members. Her mom's doing her best to stand strong, but she's barely managing to hold on as Ash talks.

"My condolences go out to everyone. Schedules will be cut back this week, allowing time for grieving. However, standing on the brink of war, we can't stop completely. With the loss of a few council members, a new generation needs to be prepared to take their places." He steps back in line to let Tessa, head of Information step up.

"It's been a while since new Council members have been elected, I'll explain how it works." She starts, eyeing up the crowd. "At least two Guardians will be chosen for each position needed to be filled. Being elected to the Council is a high honor you are not forced to carry out. Until you are sworn in, you can decide that you don't want the position. They will all train while keeping up their normal Guardian duties. When one for each position is chosen and training is complete, only then will you be sworn in as a council member. The selected Guardians have already been chosen and shall report at the council table at seven A.M. tomorrow morning. Potential head of strategy. Trent Phillips and Gavin Yang."

Claps and cheers run through the room Valery pulls back to look at Trent as he stands ramrod straight, shock passing over him. "You didn't know?" Valery murmurs.

"No." He whispers his eyes on Tessa. "I don't want it. I'd rather fight and protect on the field. I don't want the background work."

Valery nods, laying her head back on his shoulders.

"Potential head of accounting." Tessa continues as the cheers die out. "Angela and Sandra."

More cheering as Valery turns to look at Angela, a look of pride crossing across her face, her eyes shining.

She isn't going to turn that down, Valery realizes.

"And finally." Tessa begins again. "For potential head publicist, Savannah and Helen."

Valery focuses back on her mom. Her eyes red, straining from the effort to not break down on stage. Straining to stand strong for the group.

So quick, and Dad's position is being filled. The last time this was done, they took seats together. Now, she's going to be working with someone new.