Chapter 40

"She's like an angry chihuahua, god damn"- A quote from a reader XD 

I've gotten mixed reactions from this scene, some saying it was right for  Val to explode, others saying she is being too immature, let me know what you think :) Either way, this was fun to write

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laughter bubbles from Tessa's lips, filling the hall as she doubles over, her hand on the wall for support. Once she composes herself, Tessa stands upright, wiping a tear from her laughing eye. She places a palm on Valery's cheek, her expression gentle.

"Oh, my sweet girl," Tessa says, her tone warm and reassuring. "You two are adults and you've been through so much together. It's fine. Do you honestly think your parents' first time was after marriage? Ash and mine?" Tessa chuckles. "Honey, we go on missions together. Working like this is bound to make people close. There's a reason we make sure people are mature enough before we send them out. Our only concern is everyone's safety, not prying into your private lives. If you were thirteen, we'd be having a different conversation. You're fine. Just be safe and be smart."

Valery looks at Tessa, a mixture of relief and gratitude washing over her, leaving her momentarily speechless.

"And here's a little secret for you," Tessa continues, giving Valery a playful bump with her elbow. "You were a year old when your parents finally tied the knot. They'd been together forever, just like you and Trent, inseparable since training. They never prioritized rings on their fingers. I thank you for your honesty but there are a thousand and one things to worry about right now. Your romantic life should not be one of them. This is one rule you're perfectly okay breaking." Tessa turns away, still chuckling. "And don't forget those herbs!" she calls over her shoulder, leaving Valery standing there, a newfound lightness in her heart.

Herbs, right. Valery shakes her head to clear away the shock, rerouting her mind to what was asked of her. Looking at the doorway, the hall appears to be free of visitors. She meanders down the hall, hoping she can find Trent before he settles down to sleep, hoping to find some private time to talk.

Valery's footsteps echo down the hallway as she approaches the kitchen. Laughter greets her ears, and as she steps inside, she sees Trent and Cora sitting at the table, a plate of assorted cakes between them. The two of them are engrossed in conversation, their laughter filling the room. Cora's face is alight with delight, her eyes sparkling as she takes tentative bites of the treats.

"Come on, try this." Trent chuckles, his eyes bright with genuine happiness.

"No way," Cora laughs as she pushes his hand holding a fork out of the way. "Nothing good can ever come from something called a Devil's Cake."

Valery's jaw tightens, her gaze flickering between Trent and Cora. She can feel the anger bubbling up inside her. Valery's voice rises, the frustration and hurt evident in her tone.

"You'll be waiting for me, huh, Trent? We couldn't make up from our fight and you're with her already?" She demands. Both Cora and Trent look up at her. Cora shifts in her seat. Trent's eyes widen, a mixture of surprise and guilt flashing across his face. "That sure as hell didn't take long! What, we get into a fight and you run right to her?" Valery's tone is sharp, accusing. He opens his mouth to speak, but Valery's anger is a tidal wave, sweeping over him, her anger burning hotter than anything he has ever felt before. "Do you have any idea how this looks? At least the little mouse beside you has the guts to look guilty." Cora's discomfort deepens. She averts her eyes, focusing on her hands, hoping for some respite from the intensity of the moment. "You assure me nothing is going on, yet, I find you here, sharing a moment with her. The two of you with your heads close, laughing. If you think by now that I don't know what love and adoration looks like on your face, you're dead wrong." Her voice wavers with a mix of anger and pain. "After everything we've been through, Trent. How could you?" He stumbles out of the chair, it falling to the floor behind him as he motions for Cora to stay sitting and makes his way towards Valery.