Chapter 19

Image of the Guardian children in town, Gretchen in front all knowing they're in trouble

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Good morning," Olivia greets as Valery checks into work the next morning, a half hour early. Olivia doesn't bother looking at her, as she stuffs vials of poultice into a bag. "You alright? Patients normally check out with me before leaving their beds."

"Yeah," Valery starts, eyeing the poultice up. She's never seen it before. "I was hoping to be put to work. I could use the distraction."

"Here I thought you'd be asking for time off," she comments, flipping the bag shut and turning to look at Valery. "You went through quite the ordeal." She leans against the table, casually crossing her arms over her chest as she scrutinizes Valery's every move.

"I wasn't aware asking for time off was an option. Even if it was, I don't want it. I want to be ready when they decide to rear their heads again."

"Well, too bad. I've made arrangements in town. Today is a rest day, in honor of the loss of our lost Guardians. Take advantage of it or don't, I don't care." Oliva slips the strap of her bag over her shoulder. "I have some trading and bartering. Don't get yourself into any more trouble, or I'm strangling you in bandages next time."

"Why don't I come with you? Shouldn't I be learning this?" Valery presses.

"Not today. I don't have time to babysit a recovering patient. Why don't you be a good little girl and get some sleep? Or better yet, the library has more than enough books on medicinal plants. Even you couldn't be confused reading them. Whatever you do, just don't create more work for me."

Valery scowls. I wonder if anyone would question it if our healer mysteriously died in a fire?

"I'll do that," Valery says flatly, turning and heading out of the room. She heads back into the dining hall where she prepares a cup of tea as she waits for Olivia to leave the medical ward.

Tea bag steeping in hot water, Olivia makes her way down the hall. She has her bag clutched tight against her.

As if I was going to trust her alone after talking all of that shit...

Valery pokes her head around the doorway, not a soul to be seen other than Olivia walking out the front door. This early in the morning, Guardians are still waking up. Valery sighs, yawns, and walks into the early morning fog, keeping Olivia in her sights. Valery yanks out her phone as she moves, and sends Angela a quick text that says, 'Olivia is acting strange, stay tuned'.

Olivia walks with purpose, casting occasional looks over her shoulder.

Valery's eyes are keen and alert, ducking behind cars as Olivia looks over her shoulder. The sound of chatter and footsteps merge into a symphony, but Valery remains focused on her mission; proving that Olivia is the traitor counsel is looking for.

The scent of exotic spices wafts through the air, intermingling with the aroma of freshly baked bread from a nearby bakery. The healer, oblivious to Valery's presence, moves gracefully through the crowd, her flowing jacket billowing behind her. The sunlight catches the glimmering patterns on Olivia's garments, adding an ethereal glow to her presence.

Valery's heart races as she weaves through the labyrinthine streets, careful not to lose sight of her target. The city teems with life, with merchants hawking their goods, and children playing street hockey. However, Valery's focus remains unwavering, determined to uncover the truth about the healer.