Chapter 26

"Come with me." Trent grins as he calls down the hall, wiggling his keys.

"First shopping where did you get me this dress and heels, I still swear dresses are awful, by the way. Now you're up to something else?"

"Just get in the car." Trent laughs as she clumps down the stairs awkwardly in her brand-new chunky shoes. "Man, you're adorable when you don't know how to walk."

"Just wait until I can actually move to be able to kick your ass." Valery scowls.

Trent laughs again. "Come on, the car is on the curb awaiting its princess."

"Man, you're laying it on thick tonight." Valery scowls as she takes his hand at the base of the steps. "Did you do something that you're trying to make up for before I find out you did it?"

"No." Trent rolls his eyes. "I can't be a little extra for your birthday? Things have been so fast-paced and stressful, I figured we could use this chance to take a break and celebrate."

"It's only my twentieth birthday." Valery points out. "I've been a legal adult for two years now. Yet still not able to drink. It's a stupid filler birthday that means nothing."

"Val," Trent smirks as he opens her car door and looks at her. "Your birth is everything to me. And for all the hell we have been through, being alive is certainly something to celebrate. Now, give me this night, no more complaints, ok? For once, just let me celebrate you and like it."

"Fine, Daddy." She sticks her tongue out at him and slides into the jeep. "You cleaned up." She comments. Not a single snack wrapper litters the floor, not a single spec of dirt or grime. "It looks nice."

"Only the best for you." He grins.

Valery scowls. "Seriously. What is going on? What did you do?" She demands as she crosses her arms. Trent's grin grows.

"Sit back and relax. I love you."

Valery sighs, lowering her hands into her lap, and giving up. "I love you too." Trent closes the door and jogs to get behind the wheel. "When am I going to know what's going on?"

"Sit back and relax." He repeats, starting the car. He turns on the radio, having burned a CD with all her favorite music.

"Seriously?" She looks at him, her eyes wide and confused. Trent gives her another grin and starts to drive.

As the sun began its descent, casting a warm, golden glow across the land, they near the edge of the city. Houses start to stretch out, long fields separating them.

"Ok, my next guess. You got me this dress for my funeral and you're going to kill me out here."

"Val," Trent smirks at her. "No." He shakes his head, amusement glittering in his eyes.

"Then what is going on!"

"Up ahead, that barn." He nods.

"It's just a normal country barn." Valery shrugs. "Probably stinks of animal manure and sweat." Trent looks at Valery, a goofy grin on his face. "What?" Valery huffs. "If you're not bringing me out to the boonies to kill me, I have no idea what's going on."

"You're absolutely adorable. I think ruffling your feathers is my new favorite pastime."

She huffs, crosses her arms, and glares out the window as Trent puts the car in park. He jumps out and runs to her side. 'Let's go." He grins as he opens the door.

"Go where? I don't understand."

"Just get out of the car." He offers her a hand. She takes it. Arm in arm he leads her to the barn.