Chapter 24

The chirping of crickets fills the silent air. A vibrant sun peaks over the horizon as it starts to hide beyond the trees. Trent drives the Ford and its sleepy passengers past the southern hills and into the forests beyond. A strong smell of pines and plants surrounds them the deeper they go. The young Guardians are all worn out from a rough day in the heat, hauling gear back and forth but the day is only half over.

Carrying their tents and supplies a good distance away after ensuring the car is properly hidden amongst the foliage, they stop at a tight, yet comfortable clearing amongst the bushes and trees, giving decent coverage of the area. "We'll camp here," Trent calls the group,. They sit in the middle of a small glade, trickling water on the far side, leading into the forest beyond.

"Where are we?" Valery asks, taking in the scene before her.

"Just inside our territory," Trent answers, inspecting the dirt for any footprints. "Hopefully we are straight North from that plantation."

"I imagine you'd want to keep an eye on it," Angela assumes.

"Damn straight. Any threat we are going to face is going to come from there. We'll hunt in the North but also scout out the South in case any more Devils want to get owned. See what I did there? No? Anyway, we don't want anyone to know we are watching them. Signs of hunting will give us away. Helen and Gavin have agreed to take sole charge of guarding the camp. That leaves us with two groups of four. Four will set up camp, while the rest will head South. Kalina, Savannah. I want you two at camp. You two are too tired to stand a chance if anything comes to a battle."

"I'll look over them," Alan volunteers, bumping his chest with his fist.

Sandra sees this, her eyes lighting up. "I'll stay behind too, then. Since you have my brother and Alan's sister keeping watch. One big happy family."

"Fair enough. Don't let me walk back here and find you guys arm wrestling on watch again. No rations for a week if I do," Trent comments, giving a curt nod. "That works out well. Val, Ang, and Matt grab your weapons. It's Devilin' time."

Half of the group facepalms, while Ang whispers to Val, "That's the man you're considering marrying? Really?"

Her face burning, Val answers dejectedly, "Yes... yes, he is.... though I'm rethinking that right now."

"Fuck it, let's do this," Angela comments, shaking her head as she scrambles out of the vehicle.

"Leave the camp to us. Bring back any souvenirs if you can find any," Helen says, smiling.

"Oh, I am the king of souvenirs. Just you watch!" Matt shouts, trotting off ahead of them.

"Well at least someone will. Take care" With that, he turns and departs, hardly containing a smirk as Matt and Angela playfully bicker.

"Fine, any more wolves we come across are yours then you idiot.." Angela snaps, shaking her fist at him. "I sure as hell don't want to deal with them. Always been more of a cat person anyhow...."

"We are still in their territory and they do live in packs," Trent warns, walking up to the two of them.

Valery trails just behind him, adjusting her quiver and bow. "Keep it down. There might be more of those things, so be careful what you wish for."

Evening cries of the creatures around them begin to chime in their symphony as the setting sun starts casting the woods around them into a red glow. With darkness falling upon the forest, they turn on their flashlights, steadily sweeping the beam of light around. Matt and Angela take turns walking ahead and keeping watch. Trent keeps a general eye for trouble, sensing what the wind is willing to show him. The steady breeze is a welcome feel, a way to combat the heavy air that has yet to cool despite the falling sun.