Chapter 32

"Fellow Guardians!" Ash starts the next morning, taking the lead on another mandated, headquarters-wide meeting. Trent stands on stage, in line with all the other new Council members. Valery can't take her eyes off him as he fidgets, clearly unwelcome with the feeling of so many eyes on him.

I thought he was going to turn it down.

"The city has been flooded with missing people reports since the attack. We are under the impression that the Devil's Own has taken them. We are going to find these people and bring them home." Ash continues.

What? Valery snaps her attention onto Ash. First, I couldn't rescue him, now they are going after a bunch of unknown city folk?

"We selected a group of twenty of our best warriors." Ash starts listing names. Each Guardian steps up to line the front of the stage.

Trent, Angela, Helen, Alan, Savannah, Sandra, Albert, Natalie, Masson, Keith, Matt, and ten others all file onto the dais.

Valery now stands alone in the back of the room, her friends being the only ones daring to stand close to her. Valery rubs her arms, trying to rub away the feeling of being alienated. She should be up there too. But instead, she is stuck living out her life in the healing ward.

"Let's hear it for our fighters!" The crowd cheers and applauds. "Our warriors will rest tonight and head out early tomorrow morning before daybreak." Ash turns to face the lineup of twenty warriors. "Do whatever you must to succeed. Those not fully gone to them can be saved. Remember, as a team you are unstoppable. Work alone and you will be picked off one by one. So, stay together and work like a team, no matter what. You are all dismissed with our wishes of good luck to prepare, eat, and get a good night's rest."

They file off the dais. The crowd parts, allowing the warriors to pass through easily. "Val." Ash calls as he leaves the council room. Valery huffs as she freezes in the middle of the steps. 'Can I talk to you for a moment?" Closing her eyes, she turns around and makes her way down the stairs. Ash starts to look uncomfortable as Valery comes to a stop in front of him. "You know your dad and I were friends, right?"

Valery nods. "You always knew the other had your back, no matter what."

Ash clears his throat. "About that. Taking care of you is no different. I promised your dad I would look after you if anything happened to him, as he made the promise for mine. Now, Cora and I never did. But. I can still follow through with my part of the deal. Me looking out for you is the only reason you're not going on this mission, ok? I know how far you have come, your staying back has nothing to do with that, ok? All I want to do is give you the time you need and deserve to grieve. Going back too soon will be bad for your well-being.

"I already had a dad. I don't need you looking out for me." Valery turns back for the stairs, right to her room. She sits down at her desk, pulls out her diary that Liana gave her, and starts to write.

My friends are leaving on some mission without me, leaving me stuck here to wonder and worry. I'm stuck sifting through Olivia's notes, to become someone ready for trouble.

Her resentment boils. And Ash, playing at being a dad... He doesn't get it. That role isn't his to play. Tears prick her eyes, and she closes her eyes tight, refusing to let them fall. I should be with them, not stuck here learning someone else's role. I wanted to be a dedicated Guardian, reliable, but I'm sidelined, and useless. I'm no healer if people won't seek my help, no true warrior if I'm kept here.

Valery's anger fueled her words, but her grief and frustration didn't weaken.

A knock sounds on the door. Valery closes her diary and slips it back into her desk, not wanting wandering eyes to catch her thoughts. She stands and faces him, leaning against her desk as Trent walks in and closes the door.