14 ❋ Joe

"This really is heaven..." She said in a muffled voice, her mouth crammed with the chocolate cupcake. I chuckled as a few crumbs spilt from her mouth onto the plate - she didn't seem to notice.

"What did I tell you?" I said, leaning back in my chair and sipping on my mocha. As I sat there watching her practically absorb her food, I knew that I had chosen this cafe well.

"I really need to get out more. I didn't know that places like this even existed." She said after swallowing her last bite. I spent a few seconds just admiring her smile before replying.

"London is full of hidden treasures. You've just got to do a bit of digging." I said, finishing up my coffee with one final gulp. Time was ticking on, and we needed to catch the sunset for what I had planned.

Amelia was practically finished her coffee also, and she seemed surprised when I stood up immediately after her last drop was gone.

"We're leaving so soon?" She said, standing up from her own chair reluctantly.

"I've got something planned. Unless you really want to stay...?"

"No, no. I don't mind." She said, her pale cheeks flushing that delightful pink colour. "Although I would like to buy some cupcakes for my roommates."

"Go ahead." I said, smiling at her. She returned it and wandered up to the counter. She purchased two cupcakes to go, and the cashier guy handed over a bag containing the cakes.

"Lead the way captain." She said when she was finished, gesturing forwards. I chuckled and pushed away my floppy mess of hair before approaching the door.

"Where exactly are we going Joe?" Amelia said as she struggled to keep up with me. And there was something to be said for that because I generally didn't take the longest strides. The sun was sinking below the horizon at an alarming rate, and I knew that we had to get to the tower bridge before night fell - otherwise the magic would be lost.

"Just somewhere else I like to go in the city." I said mysteriously, glancing at her briefly. She looked confused, however it was overshadowed by the permanent smile resting on her lips. I had to tear my gaze away.

We walked along the same route that thousands of tourists walked everyday, and Amelia seemed to realise where I was taking her at the very last minute. The tower bridge was almost like the guardian of the city - the gigantic rise of the structure shadowed everyone and everything. The river Thames bustled beneath it with a life of it's own, the grey water frothing and churning as it flowed. We walked along the bridge footpath until we reached the centre of the bridge.

"I like to walk up here sometimes... Helps to clear my head." I said as Amelia stepped up to the railing, her hands wrapping around the metal bar. We were facing in the direction of the sunset, so the lingering golden rays kissed her skin and made her glow. We were squinting against the light but it didn't matter.

"It's beautiful. I mean, I've been up here before but never at this time." She said in a hushed voice, which was barely audible over the gentle wind. I grasped the railing with my own hands while casting my eyes down into the river below. I wondered what it would be like to jump off this giant bridge and feel the frigid water close in on me.

"So go on then. Take some pictures." I said after a brief silence. I grinned at her, squinting slightly against the sun. She giggled at the expression on my face, however she took off her backpack to retrieve her camera. Cars rushed past us on the adjacent road, and in a way it felt like we were frozen in time on the footpath. The rest of the world carried on but here we were, appreciating the view. Not enough people took the time to do that.