17 ❋ Joe

I could smell the faint scent of strawberry in her hair, and I could feel her gentle breathing tickling my cheek. There was only centimetres between us, and I prepared myself for the taste of her lips on mine. I waited for the warm softness, the explosion of my heart and the moment that would change everything.

It never came.

She moved away, and my eyelids fluttered open. Her face looked pained, and her eyes were shining as if she was about to cry. "Joe...I can't."

Those words sent daggers through my pounding heart, and I tried not to let the rejection show on my face as I nodded hastily. We both stood up awkwardly, leaving the photo album lying open on the floor.

"I'm... I'm sorry if that was too forward or whatever..." I stuttered, running a hand through my hair and trying my best to avoid her quizzical brown eyes. My head was spinning with the intensity of the moment just past, and I wanted desperately to know why she had turned away. Surely she felt the chemistry between us?

"Joe... I think you should go." She said, her lips pressed tightly together. Her eyes were cast down at the photo album on the ground, which was still open on the page with the photo of her mum and dad. Perhaps she was just sad about her mum and didn't want to kiss me because of it. I didn't want to ask.

"Okay, I'll go. Just call me if you need anything yeah?" I said, finally making eye contact with her after that awkward moment. To my surprise there was a shining tear trail streaking down her cheek. I had to suppress the urge to reach out and wipe it away with my finger.

"I will." She said, after taking a deep breath. The look she sent me was both exhilarating and painful - her brown eyes were tinged with a desperate longing, as if she wanted something she couldn't have. It seemed like everything was hurting as I nodded, forcing a smile.

We stared at each other, and her lip was quivering ever so slightly. I wandered what it was that she was hiding, and whether it was the reason for her rejection.

"I'll walk you to the door." She said, breaking the silence. I watched as she wiped away the stray tear on her cheek - it was so hard not to take her hand in mine and pull her in for a hug.

We walked in a strained silence to the front door. She opened it and I walked out into the hallway, before turning back around to stare at her. "Is it because I smell bad?" I said, and a beautiful smile spread across her face. My chest ached at the sight.

"Yeah Joe. You smell like wet dog." She said, giggling when I frowned and sniffed at my shirt.

"Well I'm sorry Amelia, not all of us smell like strawberry 24/7."

"You better go." She said, smiling sadly.

I wanted to shout 'Why?' At the top of my lungs, but oddly the silence between us was too loud. The only thing I could do was smile at her one last time before she shut the door in my face, leaving me alone in the dusty hallway.

***

By the time I got home I was in an absolutely terrible mood. Not even a box of pizza for lunch from our favourite pizza place cheered me up. Caspar tried to figure out what was wrong with me for a full hour before giving up and letting me wallow in my own misery.

A few hours later we were playing fifa on the couch when I finally broke and told him.

"I'm pissed off because Amelia wouldn't kiss me."

"What?" His voice was high pitched out of disbelief, and he even went to the extent to pause the game. This was a rare occurrence for Caspar.

"You heard me." I said, scowling at the screen.