Chapter Three

Kennedy sat up in her bed, looking at the TV. She wasn't really watching it. She was thinking about Quameek. It had been three months since she had buried her brother and Kennedy still could not believe that he was dead in the first place. Her baby brother. How did this happen?

The worst part about it all, was that they had left off on bad terms. Kennedy was kicking herself for not making things right with her brother while she had the time to do so. Life really is too short, she thought to herself. Kennedy heard a key in the front door and her stomach churned. She knew that it was Jo coming in from God knows where. Kennedy hated Jo.

Jo entered their bedroom and Kennedy just looked at him with disdain. Jo saw how she was looking at him, but he chose to ignore it. He knew that Kennedy's attitude was really gonna have him snap one day, for real. He knew that one day he was gonna do her worse than she had ever been done before. "You good?" he asked her. Kennedy nodded her head. She usually just used body language to communicate with Jo these days. She felt that he did not deserve her words. Their "happy marriage" was a complete facade.

"There's a hotel rooftop party happening this weekend and I want you to come with me," Jo said to Kennedy. "I'm not going anywhere," Kennedy replied. "Why not?" Jo wanted to know. Kennedy gave Jo an incredulous look. "Why would I go anywhere with you, Jo?" she asked him. Jo was about tired of Kennedy and her over the top attitude. He believed that she was being difficult for no reason.

"Because I'm your husband," he responded to her. Kennedy smirked. "Yeah, well apparently me being your wife doesn't hold that much importance to you," she quipped. Stepping closer to Kennedy, Jo drew back his fist ready to punch her in her mouth, for talking to him like she didn't have any common sense.

Kennedy grimaced, not looking forward to being hit yet again by Jo's crazy ass. But before Jo could even lay his hand on her, they both heard the front door being opened again. Seconds later, Fury appeared before them in their bedroom. He looked embarrassed, because he quickly put two and two together, realizing that he had interrupted. But Kennedy was beyond grateful for his interruption.

"Wassup my nigga," Jo greeted his mans, stepping away from Kenny. Kennedy rolled her eyes, Jo was so full of shit. "Nothing, man. I was just about to head over to the car dealership. I decided to just drop by and ask you if you wanted to roll, because I know you was talking about how you needed a new engine," Fury put forth. Jo nodded. "Word, that's a fact, bro. Good lookin'. Yeah, c'mon. Let's roll out," he said.

Fury waved bye at Kennedy and exited the room. Jo followed after him, ice grilling Kenny as he did so. Kennedy ice grilled him right back. When he was gone, Kennedy shook her head. I gotta get the fuck away from this nigga, she thought.
*****
Standing in the makeup aisle at WalMart, Kennedy was looking for some more concealer. She was running out of the one she had at home and as much as Jo put his hands on her, Kennedy knew she would be needing some more real soon.

Kenny was comparing the priced between the concealer from L'Oréal and the one from Maybelline. A baby ran down the aisle. You could tell that the little girl had just learned to walk not too long ago. Kennedy smiled at the little girl, she was dressed so cute. Her hair parted and pulled into two big afro puffs, adorned with bows. Kennedy squinted as the baby got closer and suddenly she recognized her. Was that... Wynter?

Kennedy's suspensions were confirmed when she heard a familiar voice say, "Wynter! Bring your little butt back over here!" Nyasia rounded the corner into the aisle, just as Wynter had ran past Kenny, laughing with delight. Kennedy grabbed Wynter so that she wouldn't go any further. Nyasia's jaw dropped. She stepped forward and grabbed her child from Kennedy, as if Kennedy were a monster.

"Kennedy?" Nyasia asked, in shock. "What the hell are you doing here?" she wanted to know. Kennedy gazed at Nyasia, just as bewildered. "I live out here now. What are you doing here?" she shot back. "I live out here, too," Nyasia answered. There was an awkward silence and then Nyasia stepped forward, an angry look on her face.

"You're the worst kind of human being I've ever met. You're disgusting. Sleeping with the man who killed your brother," Nyasia spat, her nose turned up at Kennedy. Kennedy's own nostrils flared, just as angrily. How dare Nyasia? Nyasia had no right to have such strong opinions because she didn't even know the full fuckin' story. Kennedy had to put Nyasia back in her place.

"First of all, you don't know the whole story. So check yourself before you wreck yourself, Nyasia," Kennedy replied. Nyasia rolled her eyes. "Whatever, Kennedy. I don't need to know a whole story about anything. All I know is that you left your brother out to dry and now he's dead. And the nigga you married killed him. That tells me all that I need to know. I can't believe after all these years, I thought I knew who you were. I was wrong," Nyasia stated.

Kennedy felt like shit because she knew that Nyasia was right, but still... Nyasia still did not know the entire story. In Kennedy's heart, she knew that she wasn't a bad person. It only looked that way. Her intentions had never been for her brother to get killed. Or anyone else who had gotten killed at the hands of Jo for that matter. Not Blaze or Brooklyn.

Stepping a little closer, Nyasia analyzed the bruises all over Kennedy's neck. She shook her head. "And he's beating on you too, Kennedy? Why are you still with him? He's clearly an animal," Nyasia speculated. "You would never understand," Kennedy said to Nyasia, and then she walked away, deciding to just buy both concealers.