Now.

A/N: This is based off of a one-shot I read on AO3, but I can't actually remember the name of it.

It was strange to think that just five years ago, they were finishing their university degrees, Grantaire in journalism and Enjolras in law. Five years ago they became a couple. Four years ago Grantaire was writing for a national newspaper and Enjolras was starting to get into parliament. Three years ago Enjolras ran for president and Grantaire wrote an article about it. Two years ago Enjolras and Grantaire fell apart. One year ago Enjolras became depressed and Grantaire stopped his drinking.

~*~

Grantaire was getting ready to go and write an article about the government and their view on gay marriage, it wasn't like Grantaire wanted to go and see his ex make a speech about gay marriage, Grantaire could probably quote it with the amount of time he had heard Enjolras speak about it, but he had to go because the company he worked for was forcing him as he was their best journalist.

He flashed his pass at the security guard and entered the room. Grantaire sat towards the back of the room to avoid possibly being seen by Enjolras, who was currently sitting in a seat on the side of the stage, located at the front of the room. Grantaire spent a few minutes distracting himself by doodling on a piece of paper on which he was supposed to take notes.

The room went suddenly silent and Grantaire took that as his cue to stop drawing and start listening, at least to the opposition if nothing else. Grantaire knew, could predict, what Enjolras would say, so he started listening to the opposition leader speak and then he could tune out after.

"Marriage is between a man and woman. Not between two men or two women. The citizens of France should feel like they are being heard, if they do not want the laws of marriage to be changed." Grantaire could see Enjolras' face, he could see the blonde desperately trying to keep his cool.

There was a short question and answer before Enjolras would talk. Grantaire immediately asked a question to the opposition leader, screw it if Enjolras knew he was there.

"So what you're saying is that the people of France should be heard? Yet that is hypocritical as the LGBT+ community do not have a voice. I don't get it." Grantaire said and he watched in amusement as the opposition leader tried to defend himself.

Grantaire, unwillingly, locked eyes with Enjolras. That in itself was a mistake.

~*~

Grantaire saw no reason to stay after the 'debate' had finished and he went to leave when the security guard stopped him.

"President Enjolras would like to see you."

"And I would not." Grantaire replied and tried to leave, only to be stopped by a familiar hand on his wrist.

"Stay. For me?" Enjolras asked.

Grantaire sighed and caved. "Fine, but not for you. I am doing this for myself." 'For closure.' He told himself.

It was now that Grantaire could see the bags under Enjolras' eyes. It was now that he could see the worry and anxiety in his eyes. It was now that he could see the doubt on soft lips. It scared Grantaire. Enjolras, who had never ever looked like that. Enjolras was meant to be the one who stayed collected and put together even when something bothered him. For Grantaire, it wasn't right.

Enjolras led Grantaire to a room behind the stage. Grantaire sat down in a chair and motioned for the other man to talk and for the first time in all the years that he knew Enjolras the latter looked scared. Enjolras who could tear someone down with his words, looked scared to speak his mind.

"I-I-I miss you. I made a mistake letting you go. I can't keep doing this without you. I am here because of you. I'm still in love with you." Enjolras said, his voice breaking.

Grantaire gripped the arms of the chair so hard that his knuckles were turning white. He was trying to keep his emotions at bay. Everything he had been trying to bottle up was now threatening to spill out.

"You, you still love me?" Grantaire asked.

"Yes." Enjolras said in an almost childlike tone.

"You still love me?" Grantaire pondered again.

Enjolras just nodded, his mind unable to form coherent thoughts nor words. Grantaire smiled.

"I think we should start over, not from where we left off." Grantaire said.

"Alright then, Grantaire would you accompany me on a date?" Enjolras asked in a posh accent.

"What, now?"

"If you insist." Enjolras replied and he took Grantaire's hand and led him out the back of the building.

"What about the press?" Grantaire asked.

"You are the only member of the press that I care about." Enjolras said and kissed their linked hands.