I Never Was Yours

If you love me, let me go.

That sentence was all that was running through your head. College was starting soon, which meant that you needed to move away from your school, the only school that you learned to love, your dorm, and your roommate who you had a crush on, Patrick. He didn't know you were moving away, which was probably going to surprise him either in a good or bad way. But it was obvious he loved you; he bought you flowers every now and then, slow danced with you in your room once, and even kissed you once. (But that's a completely different story). But you two weren't in a relationship, which meant he wasn't yours, you weren't his.

You waited for him on your couch while you nervously scrolled through your Twitter. It was a hobby you did, even if you didn't need to tweet, you still found something to tweet about.

Patrick opened the door, looking exhausted from school. You chose not to go to school today so you had extra time to pack. You were leaving in one hour. Your school transferring papers were done, and you just needed to get to your transferring school. "Hey (Y/N)," he said, falling on his bed. "Please get me a glass of water, I'm really tired."

You did what you were told and sat down on his bed, ready to break the news to him. "Pat," you started. "I'm really sorry I have to do this, but I'm leaving. I won't be spending college here. We can still keep contact though, through Skype, or texting and who knows? We might be friends or more when we finish college and meet up."

He looked like he was about to cry. He sat up and started shouting at you. "So this is what you want? You could've stayed here, we could be friends, but no. You're just there, acting like an idiot and what? Trying to check if I'm okay with it."

'Cause these words are knives and often leave scars,
the fear of falling apart.

You were confused. You never had a relationship, why would he get mad? "Skype? Don't you know how hard it is to keep a connection through Skype?" he continued. You were about to cry any minute now, but you were scared of breaking down in front of him.

And truth be told, I never was yours.
The fear, the fear of falling apart.

You had enough. "I'm moving, Patrick. That's my final decision." you sighed, walking to your bed and grabbing a backpack.

He walked up to you like he didn't just shout at you. "I need to confess something," he said, putting his arms around your waist and his head on your shoulder. "I love you." he continued.

His words gave you the chills. Did he mean them?

You turned to him and looked him in the eye. "Alright. I'm confessing too. I love you too, but as you said, we can't talk through Skype. But if you're willing to, you can text me or just let me go and forget about me."

You moved away peacefully. His look when you started driving away was one that you'll never forget; he chose to just let you go, for the greater good.

If you love me, let me go.