44 Mike

Mike, that was the guys name.  He worked at a restaurant as a chef.  I had actually ate there before and it wasn't too bad.  But now that he was getting close to my Gemma, that would have to change.  The security company is only one of many that my family owns.  We also deal with real estate, as in buying businesses with a good location.  I wouldn't have to even have a reason to buy his.  It wasn't that solid of an investment, but who cares, when you own the company your word is the only one that counts.  It took me a few days with paperwork and all, but by Friday, Mike was fired.  Health code violations had his place of employment shut down, and all employees laid off temporarily.  I would bring everyone back on after a few days, most everyone that is. 

Once he didn't have a job, Gemma wouldn't want him.  He wouldn't be able to pay his bills or keep his car.  He would be busy for a while trying to find a good paying job like he had, or working three jobs to get enough money to cover his bills.  I had it all figured out, but what I didn't figure on, was them going to the movies together on Saturday, even though he didn't have a job. 

That is what I was doing now.  Watching them in the movies.  They were holding hands and sharing popcorn.  My plan had backfired on me.  Now that he didn't have a job, he had more time to spend with Gemma, now he could use the pity card to weasel his way into her heart.  I wanted to pull my hair out.  I sat there and watched them the whole time.  Doing this was a lot harder now that Gemma knew what I looked like, but it kinda added on a thrill that it had initially.  The thrill of being caught.  That thrill only escalated when I didn't catch the movie ending, that they walked right by me.  Luckily I had my hood up and I was sitting in the corner.  The theater was still a little dark too. 

As soon as they were out of sight, I followed them down the street to a small cafe.  That small cafe where she broke my heart.  They sat outside, and I waited on the side of the building, out of view but not earshot.  They chit chatted about the movie for a little bit, but then it grew serious.

Gemma sighed.  "I don't want to lie to you anymore.  And I don't want to use you either."

"What do you mean?"

"The other night, when we talked, it wasn't really about my future.  Well it kind of was, but not really.  I haven't dated in a long time.  I'm sure Shelly told you about my ex, the one that cheated on me right in front of my face.  I have been really hung up on him and I'm ready to move on, only.  Shit I'm sorry.  It's a lot of stuff.

I had a stalker for a little while.  He got into my place and left me things.  It caused a panic attack and now I have to take pills and shit for it.  But then Aaron came along and the visits stopped.  He is a fun guy, but I don't think I want fun.  I want reliable.  I'm really sorry."

"That, that's a lot Gemma.  A lot to take in.  I have some news too, something I was going to share but now I think we should discuss the bombs you dropped.  I'm okay with you trying to get over your ex, but I told you before I want you done with him before you move on to me.  And I am willing to wait.  As for the stalker thing, has it stopped?"

"Yeah, I got a security system and changed my locks.  I haven't had anything strange happen recently.  I haven't needed my meds either."

"And this guy Aaron.  Were you talking to him when you were talking to me?"

"Yeah, but I will tell him after we get finished that I am done with him.  He was fun for a bit, what I needed at the time.  But now I need to move on.  I need stability."

"Well you might not get that from me.  I just got fired yesterday, really laid off.  But it gave me the push into opening up my own restaurant.  My uncle is loaning me the money to get started, plus the money that I had saved over the years will help launch it."

"Oh my god! That's so great Mike!  I'm really proud of you."

Mike chuckled.  "It's still just an idea.  It is going to be a rough go the next year or two, but I think I can make it.  Make it with you." 

There was a moment of silence, then it sounded like they were paying the bill to leave.  I just couldn't take it anymore and left.  I couldn't do this.  I had risked it all for her, and she had thrown me away.  Not stable?  I'm as stable as a person could get.  I'm a millionaire and own a fourth of the city.   She couldn't leave me.  Not after what I had done for her.  I won't let her.