O' Death// part seven

l.p: Lost Before Us

"You're looking a bit down in the dumps Mr. Payne."

"Get out Natalie!" I snapped as she stepped into my sisters room.

"Why? Because it's your sisters room? She's already dead, I'm sure she won't mind."

"Get out!" I shouted at her. In a snap, she disappeared, only to reappear right outside the door.

"Touchy subject?" She asked with a hint of a smile. Growling, I strutted towards her and slammed the door in her face. Only I could be here. Only me and my mom could be in here. Death was not allowed. To my surprise, ten minutes later, Natalie was still outside, leaning against the wall. "You done being a little bitch?" I glared at her.

"Get out of my mothers house." I grumbled moving past her and down the stairs.

"What, you're not going to go into your parents room now and reminisce? Wear some of your dads cologne, put on his clothes."

"Is this a fucking joke to you?" I snapped at her. "Just because you are death doesn't mean you get to mock those who are dead. They're fucking dead and maybe you don't have anymore feelings of humanity left but trying to joke with the living family members about their lost loved one isn't humane." Natalie just stared at me so I scoffed and turned away from her.

"I'm not death you know. I'm deaths advocate. I'm what happens after death."

"Whatever." I muttered. "Get out of my house."

"Why don't you just tell me about them. I know you want to. Someone who has experienced so much death in such a short time has a lot to say about the subject. You know, especially if they're dying."

"I'm not going to talk about my sister and my father to you."

"You see, you say that but you don't really mean it. Come on, just tell me. What's the worst that could happen?" I shook my head at her as I entered the kitchen. "Let out all those feelings of anger, guilt and regret. Vent to your friendly neighborhood reaper."

"Natalie drop it." She was quite as I rummaged through the fridge so I could make myself some dinner. I had gotten accustomed to bringing food here even after my mom was hospitalized because I liked coming back here and staying for hours at a time just picturing my life here with my father and my sister and imagining how I would comfort them with mom in the hospital, if they were still alive that is.

"I'm a reaper, I've got all the time in the world for you to talk to me about my parents but you.." She glanced at a watch on her wrist. "Well, you don't have as much time to get this off your chest before you're dead." I swallowed hard. Why was she so blunt about death? Was it because she was already dead?

"I don't want to talk about it."

"That's what everybody says when somebody dies. 'I don't want to talk about it.' 'I'm fine, you don't have to worry about me.' 'I just need some time.' It's all a bunch of bullshit if you ask me." I glared at her as I started up the stove. "What, it's true. Believe me I've been around enough death to know what people say." I didn't doubt her. I just wish she would go away and leave me alone. "If you don't want to talk about it you know, it's fine."

"Good because I don't want too." She rolled her eyes, shaking her head.

"I was joking. That's another thing people say to make the other feel better." I frowned at her as I tore open the package of sausage. "It's true. How many times have you heard that since your dad passed, your sister and when your mom got sick?" Too many times.