Breathe// part five

l.h: Princess of the Sea

Noella and I were far away from the prying eyes of everyone on the beach. The two of us had swam out towards the cliffside of the beach, careful to avoid the jagged rocks just underneath the waves. It was the only part of the beach where we could talk during the daytime and not have to worry about anyone seeing her tail. She got tired of swimming in place for so long and I felt bad. We couldn't go to the caves because of the amount of people over there on a Saturday but we could go to the more dangerous stretch of the beach and just chill.

There was a small sandbar the two of us could lay out on. Noella would leave the majority of her tail  in the water, occasionally flipping it up, making the water ripple. We had been talking most of the afternoon but now we were just laying out under the sun. She looked really peaceful as the clouds rolled out to block the suns rays for us. Noella opened one eye and laughed when she saw me staring at her.

"What are you looking at?" She asked, sitting up a little, her hair had dried completely and was more brown than blonde like I thought it was and it was currently covered in sand.

"You, you're really pretty." I commented, surprising myself. Noella blushed, her hair falling down over her shoulders.

"Well, thank you." She replied softly. I could feel how awkward the air was about to get so I cleared my throats and changed the subject.

"So can you talk to sea creatures?" Noella pursed her lips and shrugged a little.

"In a way. It's no language you know."

"That much I could guess. Is it sort of like Aquman's powers? You just reach out them telepathically and they respond?" She tapped she chin, nodding her head slightly.

"I don't know who this Aquaman  is but yes it's sort of like that." Noella laid back down on the sand, closing her eyes and I flopped down onto my stomach, staring at her.

"He's a superhero." I paused. "Could you call some sea creatures to you?" She opened one eye again and shrugged.

"I suppose I could. I'm not the best at it. You get better with age." She closed both eyes again and I waited, looking out towards the sea. I was sort of expecting to see twenty dolphins jumping out of the water or maybe a collection of breaching whales but nothing happened. I waited patiently for a minute or two before I nudged her slightly.

"Nothing's happening." Noella laughed.

"Wait for it. You humans are so impatient." I sighed. She wasn't wrong. Again, I waited. Another minute passed before I saw it. Small little starfish were coming up out of the water. They were latching onto her tail and clinging to her body, crawling up it. I almost brushed them off before I realized that starfish are animals too and Noella was probably calling them.

There were about twenty or so tiny starfish wriggling around on her body, mostly on her stomach and tail but a few were fighting for space on her face and I laughed, watching them fall off onto her hair and try to get back up. Noella opened her eyes, smiling. "I did it."

"Yeah, that's so cool." I said as she began to pick up the small sea creatures. She placed them in my hands gently and I quickly put them back in the ocean.

"Just like me, they'll dry out if they're in the sun too long." Noella commented as we dropped off the last of them into the ocean. Looking into her eyes, I smiled. Noella was such a sweet and innocent soul and I loved being around her. She made me happy.

"I wish you weren't a mermaid." I said suddenly. Noella looked startled.

"Why?"

"Because then we could hang out and we wouldn't wave to hide. I wouldn't have to lie to my friends or my family. We could just be together." Noella smiled softly.