Chapter 53

-ELEANOR’S POV-

I learned a lot about the cute, fragile side of Ryan Follese during our lovely time in a broken elevator…

I sat in his lap, he was still trembling slightly but I kept reminding him to keep his breathing even. The darkness did not help the constricted atmosphere, it felt like the walls were moving making the small space smaller.

I slid out of his lap and sat in front of him. “What can I do to help you?” I ask.

He slaps his hands on his thighs as in defeat and announces, “You know what? I don’t care anymore, I’m getting Beary out!”

I can barely see him move in the light from our phones to one of his suitcases. When he sits back down there is a teddy bear in his lap. It’s thin as to the lack of stuffing, one of it’s arms was almost coming off and he wore a lopsided red bowtie.

His stare looked upon me waiting for my reaction to this. And I grinned so big.

“Ryan,” I sighed. “Why are you so cute?” He smiled relived, I think he expected me to laugh at him and call him a baby.

“I’ve had him since I was five,” he said in a small voice, his eyes like a puppy’s.

I shook my head and kissed him. I looked down at the teddy bear and shook his hand. “Nice to finally meet you Beary,” I smiled.

Thirty minutes had passed and it was getting warm in here. Ryan held onto his bear like a life-jacket and held me with his other arm. Both our faces were damp with sweat but we stayed close together.

“Do you think we’re gonna die in here?” Ryan asks softly.

“No,” I giggle. I stroke his warm arm, feel his pulse under his wrist.

“Well if we do, I’m glad I’m with you for the last moments of my life,” he smirks.

“Stop talking like that, we’re gonna be fine!” I say slapping his arm. I pull out that granola bar and split it in half and give a part of it to Ryan. It disappears fast and soon we are going insane with boredom. It’s too quiet.

“Hey, it’s quiet! The storm must be dying down,” I realize.

“I need to get out of here!” Ryan shouts to the confining walls and slams his fist on ground.

“Calm down, I don’t want you getting worked up again!”

He rests his head back on the wall behind him. Minutes pass.

“I love you, you know that?” I say into the dark.

“Yeah… I love you too… for infinity,” he says, you can hear the smile in his voice.

I run my fingers along the bracelet he gave me in London. It sparkles a bit in the little light we have and I smile.

Then the elevator jerks again and we gripping each other tight.