I'll Get Back to You

I stretched my arms above my head, feeling the covers shimmy down my bare chest. One of my hands ventured to the other side of the bed. I shot straight up when my hand wasn't met with a warm body. I looked at Vic's side of the bed. It was empty. It's been a month since our group left the walls and now it was only the four of us. We had lost Jesse in a herd ambush. Haven't seen him since. I really hope he's okay. We have been living in a modest two story house with abundant store to get supply from. Vic and I share a bedroom. Justin takes his own and Mike has the same thing. I heard the stairs creaking under someone's weight. I grabbed my knife from under the pillow. The door to the room slowly opened and I threw my knife in its direction. I hit the wall right next to it. A chuckle instantly made me relax.

"You're getting better." Vic entered the room, pulling my knife out from the wall. He was wearing a heavy jacket and boots. It had been getting cold out lately. He came over, sitting by me on the edge of the bed. He placed my knife on the nightstand. "Sleep well?"

"You scared the shit out of me." He placed an apologetic kiss on my lips.

"I'm sorry." He stood up from the bed. "We need to go on a supply run." I nodded, throwing the covers off my body. I started getting dressed. It felt normal being out here. The only difference between being out here than in the walls is the fact that we have to find our own food and we didn't have showers. Instead you filled a pot with water, boiled it, then took a rag to clean your body. Oh and there was the tiny fact that the dead could kill us in our sleep now. Not really us but people. Since Vic had his two years out in the open, he had tricks my dad wouldn't even have heard of. I haven't really killed that many zombies anyways. It was colder out so they were getting slower. We mostly just bypass when zombies are at their minim. You kill one, it attracts others. The only time we had problems with zekes was when Jesse disappeared. After that, it was smooth sailing.

"What's it like out there today?" Vic knelt down in front of me, strapping a pistol to my thigh.

"Quiet. Cold. The usual." He stood up. I grabbed my knife for the nightstand, shoving it in its tiny sheath.

"You better be careful. One of these times, I'm going to actually hit you." He raised an eyebrow. I bit my lip as he placed his hand on my hip and brought me closer.

"Really?" He had a teasing tone to his voice. I circled my arms around his neck.

"Uh-huh."

"Come on lover boys." Mike's voice interrupted us. Vic rolled his eyes.

"Mike, ten more minutes."

"Why? It's not like you guys have sex."

"Watch it. Or the first time we do, it will be on your bed." I pushed Vic's shoulder. Vic let go of me, heading over to mess with his brother. Vic and Mike always had a playful sibling rivalry. They never fought with each other. "Kell?" Vic had his hand held out for me to take. I gladly accepted his offer. As we made our way door stairs, we met up Justin. He had been thriving out here. Who knew my friend would be a badass zombie killer. He does complain about about not being able to do his hair. Vic grabbed his backpack by the door and took the first steps out, leaving the hand that was holding mine inside while he scoped the place out. He would never let me go out first. He squeezed my hand, signaling it was safe to go out.

"What's the plan today, boss?" Justin came in front of Vic, walking backwards. He loved to tease Vic in anyway possible. Vic rolled his eyes.

"Stay in groups of two, only go into places that we've marked with a circle, and fuck sakes if you see a herd use the walkie talkies. No shouting out." He pointed at his brother who shrugged innocently. Vic and I split off from the group. We found the pharmacy and slowly opened the door. This was one of the safe buildings but even a z can get in. "Get as much as you can."