Chapter 5

My house reminds me of all the reasons I hate everything. Hazel and I walked inside, and, as usual, Dad was at work. I spotted a note taped to the fridge, "There's a note from Dad."

"What's it say?" Hazel asked. 

"Working late again. Dinner's in the fridge," I read. I crumpled it up and tossed it in the trash. Somedays I wonder if Dad cares more about his job than us.

"Hey, don't get so worked up," Hazel said, placing her hand on my shoulder. "It's like this every night."

"That's why I'm so worked up about it," I snarled, pulling out of her grip. "He doesn't care!" 

Hazel frowned, "That's not true."

"Yes it is!" I retorted. 

Hazel sighed, "Okay, maybe it's little bit true, but he'll be home soon." She disappeared into the other room to start her homework. 

I hurried up the stairs to my room. I slammed the door behind me, and flopped across the bed. From my room, I could hear Hazel on the phone downstairs, probably talking with her friends. I never understood how we could be so different. Hazel was sweet, and everyone liked her. I was an over emotional sociopath who everyone was afraid of. Most people didn't even know we were siblings. I could feel my anger flaring up inside of me just thinking about it. She has lots of friends, she makes good grades, she is happy, I thought, and she doesn't share any of it with you. I shook these thoughts out of my head. I shouldn't blame Hazel for my problems, it's my own fault I'm this way. 

Instead, I thought about Will. His freckled cheeks, his messy blond curls, his brilliant smile. Will, infecting everyone within a two mile radius with his happiness. Honestly, I never thought I'd get along with someone like that. But somehow, we ended up as friends. 

My thoughts were interrupted by a sudden knock on the door. "Come in," I said, not bothering to get up. 

The door creaked open and Hazel poked her head in, "Hey."

"What is it?" I asked. 

Hazel slips into my room, "I just wanted to make sure everything's okay."

I sat up, "I'm fine," I lied. 

Hazel sighed and sat down beside me, "No, you're not."

"How would you know?" I said.

"I just do," Hazel answered. "You've just been acting... strange."

I looked at her, "You mean stranger than I normally act?"

She rolled her eyes, "You know what I mean!"

I shook my head, "No, I don't."

"Look, Nico, you're my brother. I worry about you. You're not okay, I can tell, and it hurts me to see you this way," Hazel explained.

I sighed, "I know, but what am I supposed to do about it?"

Hazel took my hands in hers, "I was hoping maybe you could hang out with me tomorrow."

I raised an eyebrow, "What?"

"Walk to class with me and my friends. Talk to us. You know, socialize," Hazel responded. 

"I-I-" I stuttered. 

She squeezed my hands, "I know it's a lot to ask, but could you at least try to socialize?"

I shook my head, "I-I don't know. I mean, it's nice of you to offer but-"

"Fine, then sit with us at lunch. That's all you have to do," she interrupted. 

I sighed and nodded, "You got me. I'll do it."

Hazel grinned, "Great." She hugged me, "I'll finish my homework and start dinner. Sound fair?"

"Sounds good," I agreed, hugging her back. She slid off my bed and exited the room, shutting the door behind her. 

As soon as she was out of earshot, I let out a loud groan. I get that Hazel was trying to help, but making me sit with her friends? Seriously? I barely even knew those guys. I cradled my face in my hands and sighed. Tomorrow was going to be Hell.