Chapter 22

Thursday was even better than Wednesday. Will and I walked to class together, our hands clasped tight. Once again, we sat with my friends at lunch. Will interacted with them so easily, you would've thought that they had all known each other for years. When the bell dismissed us, we exited the cafeteria together. 

"This is great!" Will exclaimed as we made our way to my locker.

"Yeah," I agreed. "It's even better than I hoped."

"Hey, I was thinking we could do something Friday night," Will said.

"Okay, sounds cool. What do you want to do?" I inquired. 

Will smirked, "It's a surprise."

I raised my eyebrows, "A surprise?"

He nodded, "Yep. You'll have to wait and find out. I'll pick you up at eight." He gave me a quick peck on the cheek before sprinting down the hall, and disappearing into the mob of students. 

I kept trying to guess Will's surprise date all afternoon. Would he take me to another movie? Would we go to a museum? Zoo? Concert? I dreamed about all the possible dates we could go on, each one more fantastic than the last. 

When I got home, I plopped down at the kitchen table and continued to speculate. Hazel suddenly entered the room, interrupting my train of thought. 

"Hey, Nico," she said, sitting down across from me. "What are you thinking about?"

"Will said he has a surprise for me," I answered. 

Hazel raised an eyebrow, "A surprise? Like a date?"

I nodded, "I'm trying to figure it out."

Hazel giggled, "Well, good luck with that."

We sat there in silence for a few minutes. I continued my attempt to solve Will's surprise while Hazel observed with a small smile playing at her lips. 

"Hey, Nico?" she said, breaking the quiet. 

"Yeah?" I answered. 

She met me with her golden eyes, "Are you happy?"

The corners of my mouth lifted into a smile, "Yeah." Except this time, I wasn't lying.