Chapter 6

When I woke up the next day, it was pouring rain. I dragged myself out of bed and took my time getting ready. I hurried downstairs to find Hazel making breakfast.

"Good morning," she said.

"G'morning," I answered. "Did Dad already leave?"

Hazel nodded, "Yeah."

I sat down and the table and Hazel placed a plate of eggs and toast in front of me. She slid into the chair across from me. "You remember what you agreed to, right?" she asked.

I stared at her, "What?"

"You said you would sit with me at lunch, remember?" she replied, rolling her eyes.

"Oh, right, that..." I muttered.

"Calm down, it'll be great," Hazel assured me.

"Easy for you to say," I retorted. "Everyone likes you. Nobody likes me."

"Don't say that," Hazel said softly.

"But it's true!" I answered.

"No, it's not!" Hazel shouted. I jumped back in surprise. Hazel almost never got mad. "Stop saying such awful things about yourself! You're my brother, Nico. I don't like to hear you put yourself down like that."

I stared at the ground, suddenly feeling guilty. Hazel shook her head and sighed, "Come on, we're going to miss the bus."

I slung my backpack over my shoulder and followed Hazel to the curb.

When I arrived at school, the first thing I noticed was Will leaning against a wall by the main entrance, waiting. As soon as he saw me, he grinned and jogged over. "Hey!" he beamed.

"Hey," I answered.

His eyes wandered from me to Hazel, and a curious expression crossed his face. "Who's she?"

"Will, this is my sister, Hazel," I explained.

Hazel smiled at Will, "Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you, too," Will answered. Will suddenly linked arms with me. I felt my face grow warm and my stomach lurch in surprise. "We better be off. See you soon, Hazel!" Will said. Hazel waved at us and disappeared into the mob of students hurrying to class.

I pulled my arm out of Will's, "You don't have to do that, you know."

"I know," he said. "I just want to."

A smile tugged at my lips, "You do a lot of things because you want to, don't you?"

He nodded, "Yep."

"Let's head to class," I said.