Chapter 9

When I woke up the next day, I was surprised to find that I was in a good mood. I quickly got dressed and rushed downstairs. Hazel was already in the kitchen sipping a cup of coffee and giggling at something on her phone. I snatched a piece of toast from a plate on the counter and plopped down in the seat beside her.

"Hey," I said.

She looked up from her phone, "Someone's in a good mood today."

I swallowed, "Yeah."

"What are you so happy about?" she asked.

"I don't know. I'm just happy," I said, shrugging. "Do I need a reason to be happy?"

Hazel shook her head, "No, it's just not like you."

"Am I that bad?" I asked.

She giggled, "No, I just mean your always so down."

"Well I'm in a good mood today," I answered, taking another bite of my toast.

Hazel smiled, "Good, I'm glad."

We finished breakfast in time to catch the bus. When I arrived at school, I walked down the hall with a slight spring in my step. I reached my locker and found Will waiting for me. "Good morning," he said.

"Hey, Will," I said, smiling at him.

He raised an eyebrow, "Did I just get a rare glimpse at a smiling Nico Di Angelo?"

"Oh come on," I replied, rolling my eyes, "It isn't that rare."

Will grinned, "Whatever your say, Sunshine."

"Shut up and let's go," I answered playfully. Will laughed and joined me as I headed to first period. We walked side by side on the way to every class. Will was as cheerful as ever, talking and joking the whole way. For the first time in a long time, I smiled and laughed, too. I don't know what it was about this sun-baked, overly optimistic boy, but he made me happy.

When it was time for lunch, I entered the cafeteria with more confidence than the previous day. I didn't hesitate when I approached Hazel's table, and I didn't feel quite so intimidated by her friends. I even felt confident enough to let Will walk me to the Cafeteria. I sat down beside her, and the other six greeted me with big smiles.

"Who's that who walked you here?" Annabeth asked when I took my seat.

"Just my friend, Will," I replied.

"He seems familiar," Percy said, his brow furrowed in thought. "I think I have science with him."

"Percy, you say that all the time. If it were true, the entire school would be in your science class," Leo remarked. Percy glared at him, and I heard Hazel stifle a giggle. We spent the rest of lunch laughing and talking. I stayed the entire time. Not because I felt like I had to, but because I wanted to. I was actually starting to feel like I belonged. Soon, the bell dismissed us from the cafeteria.

When I met Will at my locker after lunch, I noticed his mood seemed to have changed. He was tapping his fingers against his leg and he looked like he was about to throw up.

"Will?" I said, rushing over to him, "Are you ok?"

Will laughed nervously, "What? Me? I'm fine."

I raised an eyebrow, "Ok..."

"C-Can I ask you something?" he stammered.

"Shoot," I replied.

He took a deep breath, "Do you want to do something on Friday Night? With me?"

"Yeah, sure," I replied. "What do you want to do?"

"Well, I was thinking that we could go see a movie," Will explained.

I nodded, "Sounds cool. What movie?"

"I had a few in mind," he answered, "I wanted you to help me pick."

"Alright," I agreed, "But can we do it on the way to class? I can't be late."

Will laughed, "Okay, we can do that." Will and I started down the hall, debating over which movie we should see. I can't explain why, but as we walked side by side, I had a strange feeling in my gut.