Chapter 18

When the bell dismissed me for lunch, I hurried out of the classroom as fast as I could. I bolted down the hall, praying that I could beat the crowd, and stopped at my locker. I hastily shoved my things in, and made my way towards the cafeteria. I skipped the line, as usual, and proceeded to approach the middle table. 

It was completely empty, except for Percy and Annabeth. Annabeth had her nose in a book, her gray eyes wide with interest, while Percy read over her shoulder. I sat down silently, hoping that they didn't  notice my presence. I didn't want to ruin the moment. I sat at the end of the table, watching them. Percy's green eyes took every inch of Annabeth in as she read. He had a small smile on his face that said, "She's mine and I'm proud." When he was around Annabeth, he transformed from a careless jock into a dashing prince. 

I wanted him to see me that way. I wanted Percy to look at me the same way he looked at Annabeth. But, I knew I could never have it. He wouldn't replace Annabeth in a million years. Hell, he would die for her. I could never be that person. 

I sighed and stared at my hands. Why was I going after Percy, anyway? What was it about him that made him so special? My childish crush had become so ridiculous, it had thrown a stake into Will and I's  friendship. 

Will. The one person who I could count one. The one person who understood me. The one person I was truly happy with. Was loving Percy really worth sacrificing what Will and I had? No, I decided, No it's not. I had to get over this crush. I had to tell Percy how I felt. 

Lunch passed quickly. Before I knew it, the bell was ringing once more, reminding us that it was time for class. I made sure that I was the first person in the hall. I put my tray in the window, and raced out of the cafeteria as fast as I could. I stood by the cafeteria doors, waiting for Percy to exit. As soon as I saw him step into the hall with Annabeth, I ran over to him.

"Percy!" I exclaimed.

He smiled at me. "Hey, Nico," he said, "What's up?"

"C-can I talk to you for a second?" I asked. 

Percy nodded, "Sure." I glanced at Annabeth, who was smiling at me, her gray eyes twinkling. 

"Alone," I said.

"Oh," Percy answered, slightly surprised. He looked at Annabeth for consent. 

She nodded, "Go ahead."

"Follow me," I said. I shouldered my way through the halls, Percy trailing behind me. I finally reached the janitors' closet a few hallways over. I opened the door, "In." Percy entered the closet, and I followed, shutting the door behind me. 

"What's this about?" Percy asked. 

I sighed, "I need to tell you something important."

"Okay," Percy replied, "Go ahead."

"I-I don't hate you," I said.

Percy raised an eyebrow, "I never said you did."

"I know, I know," I answered. "I mean I like you more than most people."

Percy was still clueless, "Okay, great. I'm a likable guy."

I shook my head, "Not as a friend, but as, you know..." my voice trailed off. 

Percy stared at me as he processed what I just said. Suddenly, his eyes widened, "Wait, you like me? As in, like, like like me?"

"Yeah... that," I muttered, flushing. 

"I-I, uh, wow, um..." his voice trailed off. 

"Don't worry about it," I said, "I'm over it." And, when I said this, I wasn't lying. When I told Percy I liked him, it was like some weight was lifted off my chest. Suddenly, any attraction I had towards him faded. He became Percy Jackson- just Percy Jackson- and nothing more. 

"Oh, ok," he said, sounding relieved. "Is that all?"

"Yeah," I replied. "Are we cool?"

Percy grinned, "We're cool." We turned and exited the janitors' closet. He waved to me before turning and jogging down the hall to meet his friends. I watched him go, feeling relieved. I had told him I had a crush on him, and I felt great. Now, there was only one more thing for me to clear up.