Prologue

A soft breeze blew through the raven-black ThunderClan camp. It was moon-high, and a minor number of clouds dotted around the sky.

A particularly large one was covering a large part of the sky, relieving the clearing of having to face what little light the silvery moon emitted.

There were no creatures about - no stirring prey, no restless cats. The only sound that could be heard was the gentle 'tip, tap' of a dry leaf tumbling along the dusty clearing.

All was still. Yet something wasn't right.

A rustle in one of the dens disturbed a roosting tawny owl and it let out a terrifying screech, launching into the air, just as a head appeared at the entrance of the den.

Its gleaming amber eyes darted around, before a muscular, large body emerged, followed by a long, fluffy tail.

"Perfect," he murmured, his amber eyes gleaming hungrily.

He glanced around once more, before stalking forward, out of the shelter and warmth of the den, and into the cold, dark clearing.

He slowly made his way towards a large rockpile used as steps to reach another den. As he leapt up each one, he reminded himself how grateful the clan would be.

He was simply doing their dirty work, he thought to himself. They needed a better leader.

As he entered slowly into the den, a silver-grey body came into sight. The golden cat padded round to her head, and crouched beside her.

Everyone knew she was on her last life, though for some reason, they respected her even more. It was ridiculous. Well, it was time they realized that she wasn't a kittypet that needed to be worshipped, but a weak, mad old fool.

He lifted up a massive paw and unsheathed his claws- all long, thorn-sharp and as deadly as a fox's bite.

He sheathed them again quickly. "See you in StarClan," he purred, placing his paw on her throat.

He paused, before leaning down to whisper in her ear, "If you ever make it."

His claws suddenly unsheathed, digging into her throat.

He raked them down her neck, eyes wide, the hunger slowly dying as if a beast inside of him had been fed.

Suddenly, the she-cat's eyes flew open and she let out a mighty yowl, her paws flailing around and somehow managing to strike the large, golden tom in the face.

The clouds parted, revealing a large, silvery moon that shone into the den, lighting up the pale fur of the tom and revealing a scar across his nose and part of his face.

He winced, though placed his paw to her mouth, sheathing the blood-covered claws.

"Quiet down, kittypet. Nobody cares." He glared down into her dark blue eyes as the life died from them and her head finally rolled back.

The large tom prepared to dash out of the den, but when he turned around, a pale ginger tom stood, blocking the entrance.

His pale amber eyes were glaring into the large tom's. "I cared," he breathed, his claws unsheathing.

The large tom sighed, relieved. "Oh, Bumbleheart, it's just you." He dipped his head, relieved.

He padded over to the tom, but before he could say anything, Bumbleheart took a menacing step forward. "I cared about Cinderstar. And so should you, Goldensun. She was Hazelshade's mother, and her best friend- she even took Nightshade in as a kit when- never mind about that."

His eyes were wide, though wisdom shone from them. Goldensun thought quickly.

"Bumbleheart, brother, cover for me. You always said we'd rule together when we were kits. Let us fulfil that dream now!" He mewed, his voice confident, though Bumbleheart detected a hint of fear.

He glared at his brother, grabbed hold of Cinderstar's body and hauled her up into his back.

He stumbled out of the den with her on his back.

"Cats of ThunderClan!" He yowled, allowing Cinderstar's body to slip off his back and into the clearing.

As soon as a single head, a sleepy-eyed grey and white tabby she-cat, popped out of a den- the one next to the one Goldensun had emerged from- saw this, she let out a yowl, dashing over to her body.

"No! Not my mother!" She yowled, eyes clouding in pain.

Hearing the commotion, more cats begun to appear, gathering around the leader's stone-cold body, until a whole clan had gathered.

They were all murmuring so loud that Bumbleheart had to raise his voice so loud that a flock of ravens the in the trees of the thick forest surrounding them flew away.

"ThunderClan!" He yowled, fur bristling. They soon became silent and turned their horrified faces to the tom on the rock. "I stand before you and the body of Cinderstar. Who did this to her, you may ask?"

They began to murmur quietly to one another, until Bumbleheart flicked his tail for silence. The tom took a deep breath, before yowling, "Goldensun murdered Cinderstar!"

The chaos below was astronomical. Cats were on their paws, spitting at both Bumbleheart and Goldensun.

Cats were hiding behind one another. A few cats even ran back into the dens.

Everyone was clearly shocked, but none appeared to be as horrified as the silver and white tabby that had seen Cinderstar's body first.

"No!" She screamed. "Not my own mate! He'd never kill my mother!"

Bumbleheart beckoned with his tail for his brother to come out and face the clan, and, surprisingly, he did.
As soon as the she-cat saw him, she let out a troubled wail. "Surely it's not true!"

Goldensun leapt down, but instead of trying to comfort her, he just glared at the she-cat. "Oh, come on, Hazelshade. Nobody wants a kittypet for a leader!" He growled, his menacing amber gaze burning into her petrified green eyes. "Think of our kits!"

Hazelshade lashed her tail. "You're a fool, Goldensun," she spat. The hurt and betrayal shone raw in her eyes like fresh wounds. With that, she sped away into one of the dens, a ginger and white she-cat hot on her tail.

Bumbleheart, who had been watching quietly, suddenly let out a yowl.

"Goldensun, you know what this means!" He stared down at his brother. Goldensun shook his head, his dark amber eyes daunting. Bumbleheart sighed. "Goldensun, I sentence you to exile!"

Every cat below was glaring at Goldensun, and the crowd parted to reveal a path to the camp entrance.

Before he left, however, he glared up at Bumbleheart. His stare was of pure hatred. "You are a fool, Bumbleheart. I'll return, and I will kill you!"

Once he'd yowled those words, he fled, darting out of the camp entrance, the last glimpse of him a flick of his tail.