Chapter 11

Sunpaw's ears pricked happily as he watched his friend pad forward confidently and speak the words, "I do."

It came out as a low meow, as if trying to mask the pride and excitement in his voice, but it was there if one simply listened.

Beside him sat Amberkit on one side, eyes so wide that they brought a smile to his face, and Whitepaw on the other, looking on happily as her brother recieved his name.

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Ashpaw, from this moment you will be known as Ashcloud. StarClan honours your courage and integrity, and we welcome you as a full warrior of ThunderClan."

There were ecstatic purrs and exchanged mews all around. Everyone knew how hard Ashcloud had worked to deserve the title.

Sunpaw would miss training alongside him, and he noticed Heatherpaw looking at him with a longing gaze. What is that about? I really ought to ask her. He thought, eyes watching her thoughtfully.

Then he lifted his head up and began to call Ashcloud's name. "Ashcloud! Ashcloud!" He hadn't noticed others doing so, but when he did it loud and clear, most joined in.

When Bumblestar had finished the meeting, he dismissed the clan and took Sunpaw, Heatherpaw and Ivypaw out, with the help of their mentors.

~.~.~

Sunpaw trotted along the WindClan border, the scent of rabbit almost overwhelming his senses. Slowly, he crouched down, eyes wide, as the long ears of the rabbit lifted up. He took another step forward, and winced as his paw snapped a twig.

The rabbit glanced around at this, saw Sunpaw's ears, then darted away. Sunpaw, however, was quicker. He leapt out of his hiding spot and onto the creature in a heartbeat, and after just seconds the writhing mass of fur was just a heap on the floor. "Good catch, Sunpaw." His ears pricked to the sound of Bumblestar's voice.

He swivelled his head around, nodded, and continued on, trying to ignore the pained look in his mentor's eyes.

He had been deliberately avoiding him for a while now, only because he couldn't bear to face him with the knowledge that he was training in the Dark Forest. By now Sunpaw hated it there, though he unwillingly agreed that it did - sometimes- make him stronger. Still, he couldn't leave. They haunted every single dream he had. He just had to go with it.

When they came back, Sunpaw found himself walking across camp with Heatherpaw by his side.

He stopped suddenly, ears twitching for her to do so too. "I know that it's not my place to pry or anything, but what is it with you and Ashpaw-I mean, Ashcloud?"

His sister's eyes widened for a heartbeat, before she narrowed them quickly, turning her head away slightly. "I don't know what you mean." She mewed, eyes narrowed.

Though the average tom would have either gotten the hint that the subject wasn't to be touched upon and walked on, or not gotten the hint and moved on anyway, Sunpaw knew his sister.

He flicked her gently with his tail. "You can tell me." He promised, and after a few seconds of hesitant decision, she finally turned back to him, looking at him happily. "I think I like him!" She purred happily, her tail-tip curling in sudden delight.

Sunpaw was not expecting that.

He struggled for words as she beamed at him, eyes shining. Love? How could she think about love at a time like this?

His gaze suddenly blazed with a scorching fury. "You should really get your head out of the clouds, Heatherpaw." He hissed, the cold aggression rising in his voice.

He suddenly turned around, stomping back towards the camp entrance, but Heatherpaw beat him to it.

"And what's so bad about it? I've seen the way you look at Amberkit."

Sunpaw's eyes widened in surprise when she mentioned this, but almost immediately he stopped her. "I don't know what you mean." He mewed stubbornly, neck fur bristling.

She clearly didn't fall for it, because she just laughed easily. "Sunpaw, you are so awkward." She flicked him with the tip of her tail, before padding off to the apprentice's den, Whitepaw joining her when she was past the medicine cat's den.

His paws tingled, and he didn't know whether it was from apprehension or excitement.

"Don't be silly, Sunpaw. There is no way you like Amberkit. She's... Not for you." He muttered, before retreating to the apprentice's den, curling up into a ball and closing his eyes, allowing sleep to take him after a long day.