Chapter 22

Where Sunpaw was going, he didn't know. How, he didn't know. When he would get there, he didn't know. All he did know was that he wasn't wanted back at camp.

You just ruin things, Sunpaw. He thought over and over, reciting words that Ivypaw had told him so many times.

Those words that had seemed so petty, so quaint at the time. Those words that were now eating him alive.

His large, golden paws thrummed on the ground and his chest rose up and down with every fox-length.

He didn't care where he was going. As long as it's away from here, he thought bitterly, not even bothering to glance back at his home before he reached the end of the forest and up a steep hill.

He kept running, however, into unknown territory. If his paws were serving him right- which he hoped they were- then he should be going around WindClan territory.

Sure enough, the moor stretched out before him when he reached the top of the hill, in all its green glory. He paused there, letting out a sigh, and flopped down to his side. His head rested against the grass, Sunpaw closed his eyes with a sigh.

It took a while for Sunpaw to realise that he was dreaming.

The pale golden tom stood where he was before, on the hill. But his surroundings now had a slight glimmer to them, as if icy dew had gathered already.

A noise started Sunpaw, and he spun around, only to see a grey tom approaching him, his yellow eyes shining bright, a great contrast amongst the darkness.

"Who are you?" He snarled, hackles raising defensively.

The tom let out a soft chuckle. "There is no need for violence, Sunpaw; I am from StarClan. I have only come to deliver a prophecy to you."

His heart skipped a beat.

"I... You... You must've gotten this wrong, whoever you are. I'm not a medicine cat and I don't want to be one."

The tom sighed softly, as if he knew something that Sunpaw didn't. "I know. But I am unable- I.. I mean, I think you should hear it first.

Sunpaw didn't miss how the tom had almost said something. "Why can't you talk to Silverleaf about it?"

The grey tom's gaze revealed nothing, only guarded suspicion. "It is none of your concern, Sunpaw. Besides, I'm sure that you will figure it out soon enough."

Sunpaw's ears flattened. What did he mean by that?

"So? What's the prophecy?" Sunpaw probed, eyes sparking with curiosity. "And who is it about?"

The tom's figure straightened, his neck fur rising ever so slightly. Sunpaw narrowed his eyes as he hastily flattened it.

"Just listen carefully."

Sunpaw felt himself leaning in, ears pricked as he strained to hear every sound.

"A bit of space, please?" The tom's fluffy tail flicked with annoyance.

As soon as Sunpaw leant back, the starlit tom began reciting the words of a prophecy Sunpaw had heard many times:

"There will be three cats, kin of your kin, with the power of stars in their paws. They will find a fourth, and the battle between light and dark will be won. A new leader will rise from the shadows of his death, and the Clans will survive beyond memories of his memories. This is how it has always been, and how it will always be."

Sunpaw's eyes narrowed as the grey cat finished. "You said there was more. This is just that prophecy from before. The one about Firestar, Lionblaze, Jayfeather and Dovewing."

"Patience!" The tom hissed. Sunpaw shut his mouth quickly. "I never finished. This is how it has always been, and how it will always be. We thought it was the end of the prophecy, that we could finally live as four clans. But we were wrong.

"For the another part of the prophecy we were given just over a moon ago:
This is how it has always been, and how it will always be. However, a new era is coming, an era of blood and battle, and only flames can stop it. This is because some flames cannot be destroyed, no matter how much water there is, and those are the flames of the sun."

Sunpaw's eyes had widened whilst the tom had been repeating the prophecy.

"Where do I come in to this prophecy?" He demanded, eyes now narrowing in confusion.

The grey tom chuckled. "All in good time, Sunpaw. All in good time."

The tom began to fade away, his amber eyes gleaming in the starlight.

Sunpaw leapt to his paws. "Wait! Don't leave me! I can't go back yet!"

"And why ever not?"

Another cat had suddenly appeared beside him, her blue-grey fur shining in the light. Wise blue eyes stared at him as he took up a defensive stance.

"Hush, apprentice. You know me from your stories as Bluestar. I-"

Sunpaw interrupted her. "Wait. You're Bluestar? As in, the Bluestar?" When the she-cat nodded, Sunpaw tilted his head once more. "So... Who was that cat who was just talking to me?"

The she-cat chuckled. "Was Graystripe trying to give a prophecy correctly again? He'll never get the hang of it, that mouse-brain. I don't know why Firestar thinks he can do it. He's rather-"

For the second time, Sunpaw interrupted the she-cat. "That was Graystripe? As in-"

"Yes, yes! the Graystripe! Okay? Seriously, one would think you've never seen a StarClan cat before!" The legendary she-cat was exasperated. "Oh, of course. You haven't." She shook her head with a sigh. "Look, Sunpaw. I didn't come here so you could gawk about some cats from stories. I-"

"So, you know Firestar? And Bramblestar, and Lionblaze! You know Hollyleaf and Cinderpelt and Squirrelflight and Leafpool and Jayfeather and Yellowfang and- great StarClan you know everyone!"

Sunpaw was practically leaping for joy at this realisation, whilst Bluestar was just shaking her head sadly. "This is awfully embarrassing..." She muttered, closing her eyes, then opening them again to watch Sunpaw.

"What about Dustpelt? Did you know him? Oh, what am I saying? Of course you did! What about Sandstorm? Of course you know her. Oh, you're all so amazing!" Sunpaw couldn't shake off the overpowering feeling of awe as he stared up at the blue-grey she-cat.

Suddenly, the she-cat could take it no longer. "For the love of StarClan, shut up and sit down!"

Sunpaw didn't get up after that.

"Look, Sunpaw. I do know all these cats, but that is not amazing right now. If you do not sort yourself out and get back to ThunderClan soon, there won't be a StarClan to admire. You have to-"

The she-cat broke off as a loud screech sounded from the distance. Bluestar's whole body tensed, and she quickly stood. "Sunpaw, you must go. We may speak again, we may not. Goodbye."

Sunpaw's eyes widened. "No! Don't go! I still don't know what it means!"

After that, a pit of darkness engulfed Sunpaw whole.

~

Well, you can tell that Sunpaw isn't the brightest cat to live.