Chapter 36

"Just friends." His fiery friend murmured. "After all this, after everything we've been through together, we're just friends? Don't I mean anything more than that to you?" Her blue gaze burned.

If Sunflame had fidgeted before, then now, he was flopping like a fish in front of her. "I..." He mewed hopelessly, glancing around as if looking for help.

"No, Sunflame. You have to tell me now. Is that seriously all you think of our... Our friendship?"

Sunflame's ears grew hot- and not only with embarrassment.

"I do not have to tell you anything." He snapped, storming off into the forest.

~.~.~

"Wait! Sunflame!"

He ignored the voice. "Go away, mother." Then he stopped. "Wait, why are you here?"

Hazelshade appeared, panting, as she skidded through the undergrowth after him. "Sunflame, as your mother, I'm here to give you advice and you're going to listen to it."

He let out a long, bored groan. "A lecture? Really?"

Hazelshade rolled her eyes. "Is that all you think us mothers do? Lecture their kits?" She sighed. "No- well, in this case, maybe, but usually we're more than that. Anyway... Seriously, Sunflame? I heard every word of your little conversation with those two she-cats. Are you seriously that blind? Amberblaze loves you! I don't know about that queen- she seems to like both you and Ashcloud- but Sunflame, stop messing around and open your eyes!"

Sunflame gaped at his mother. Amberblaze liked him? Was she mad? "Are you mad?" He mewed incredulously, eyes narrowing. "Of course she doesn't like me."

His mother muttered, "she doesn't like you, she loves you."

Sunflame sighed, sitting down. "I... I don't know if I like her though..." He muttered, tail twitching nervously. Was his mother correct? Did the she-cat really like him? Did Amberblaze truly love him?

The idea made him feel warm with happiness.

That made him freeze. Does that mean I like her too? He wondered.

He felt his heart begin to thump harder and harder, faster and faster. He closed his eyes, picturing the she-cat in his head, imagining the sweet, fragrant smell of her. He could still smell it now.

Did he actually like her?

Or more...

Did he love her?