Chapter 24

As Sunpaw prowled through the shady forest, he felt his pelt bristling, and didn't bother to check behind him. He knew he was being watched, as usual, and he knew that one wrong move and someone would come for him.

"Well, well, well. Look who finally decided to show up."

The familiar voice sent shivers through Sunpaw's pelt. He sighed, before turning around to greet the black she-cat and her mother.

"Hello, Screech. Nightshade." He mewed evenly, nodding to each of them. The younger of the two snarled, bunching up her hindquarters, but her mother stopped her with a wave of her tail.

"Sunpaw is our guest. We will treat him as such, Nightshade. Won't we?"

The black she-cat was evidently unhappy with Screech's decision. Let's just kill him now. Her eyes seemed to say. "As you wish, mother." Screech chose to ignore the bite in her words.

"Good. Now, Sunpaw, where have you been?" The white she-cat's claws slid out. "We haven't seen you for moons. Don't you think we were missing our prized warrior?" She snarled.

"Well, I'm still an apprentice." He muttered. "So..."

Screech merely rolled her eyes. "All in a matter of time, Sunpaw. Just be patient."

Nightshade snorted. "What are you, a StarClan cat? Whoever heard of patience at a time like this?"

Screech sighed. "Sunpaw, we're going to attack ThunderClan at moon-high as a test for you. You should be more loyal to us- you have been training with us the longest. If anyone asks, cover for us. But we will be there, should you choose to do otherwise."

Numbed, Sunpaw nodded. Of course he would report this straight to Bumblestar, but the threat still scared him.

"Now, we'll leave you to dream in peace. Wouldn't want you to be tired for tomorrow now, would we?"

After that, Sunpaw found himself having strangely normal dreams.

~

That morning when Sunpaw woke up, he found himself feeling refreshed and prepared for he day. However, when Oakfur and Breezestorm came to collect the four apprentices for battle training, Sunpaw didn't come. He claimed that he had a stomach ache, padding over to Silverleaf's den.

"-I'm worried about her, Silverleaf. Nothing more. How can she go through so much and still seem fine? I know she's not fine, so- oh, hello, Sunpaw!"

His mentor stopped saying what he had been saying and focused on his apprentice. "Are you alright?"

After a quick assessment of the den to make sure that nobody else was in there, Sunpaw repeated everything Nightshade and Screech had said, and after he had finished, the two were speechless.

"Moonhigh? Definitely at Moonhigh?" The silver she-cat mewed. The leader and medicine cat shared a silent look.

"Definitely. Why?" Sunpaw's tail flicked worriedly. When they hesitated, he added, "There's something you're not saying- I know it. If you don't tell me now, I'll just uncover it later on."

After a long sigh and a shake of his head, Bumblestar nodded, flicking his tail to a spot beside him. When he had sat down, the tom began.

"Last night, Silverleaf had a dream. She was in StarClan, and cats were streaming past her, warning of a greater force that would come at moonhigh. Then, Bluestar- yes, Sunpaw, the Bluestar- told her to beware the night's shade; not everything is pure, and that the eagle's harsh cry will corrupt everything it touches. That can only mean one thing, and I think we all know it."

After a long pause, Sunpaw nodded numbly. "Nightshade and Screech will somehow defeat ThunderClan if they can get just some of us on their side."