Chapter 19

"Amberkit! My beautiful, beautiful kit! You're alive!" Joy marked every one of Raventail's features as he crouched down beside his daughter.

Sunpaw couldn't believe his senses as he padded over.

"But..." He watched his best friend slowly regain her breath. "You were dead."

"It would seem that StarClan does have hope in us, after all," Bumblestar mewed, padding up to the scene, shooting a pointed glance at Kestreltail.

The small she-cat glanced at her paws, gaze shining with embarrassment.

"Wh-what happened?" Amberkit mewed nervously, then glanced around her, bewildered. "Wh-Foxtail? Birchkit? Stormkit?" She stared, dumbfounded, at her family, confusion etching her features.

"I... I'm sorry, Amberkit." Goldensun's voice rang clearly out through the dark clearing. "I truly am. Foxtail... I trained with her many moons ago. She was a good friend. But Shade disliked the idea of having so many dens in his camp, and, not knowing that anyone was in there, he leapt on it. I'm sorry."

Sunpaw didn't care that the cat in front of him was his father. He didn't even care that he was the same species as the cat in front of him.

"No. You're not sorry," he hissed angrily, backing up to stand beside a confused Amberkit.

"If you were, would you be backing up your rogue friend? No. Would you be creating petty excuses as to why this 'Shade' cat murdered Foxtail and her kits? No. Look at Amberkit's flank, her face, her legs. Are those marks of a fallen den? No! They're claw marks. Seriously, Goldensun, do you really find us that naive?"

Sunpaw found his claws unsheathing as he kept talking.

"ThunderClan are not weak, naive or dumb. You, on the other hand, are. Do you really think that you could take over ThunderClan this easily?"

What Sunpaw hadn't noticed while he was speaking, however, was that gleaming eyes now surrounded the camp.

"You're right, Sunpaw," the large tom mewed, not at all fazed by his son's outburst. "I didn't think that I could take over such a strong clan." He paused, signalling with his tail to something. "But my rogues did."

All of a sudden, rogues spilled over the edge of the camp, flowing like water to the group of cats below. Amberkit pressed close to her father, eyes wide, looking as startled as a newborn kit. A dark grey tom seemed to lead them down, his powerful strides ahead of the rest.

He skidded to a halt beside Goldensun, fur bristling. "Well, he definitely bears a family resemblance." The tom remarked, eyes narrowed as he took Sunpaw in, then glanced over to Bumblestar.

"S'this your brother? You also look alike. But he's uglier." A few snickers echoed around, coming from the rogues. As Sunpaw looked closer, he could see a few of ThunderClan's warriors amongst the rogues; siding with them.

Rowanfur was standing next to a slim tortoiseshell, Tawnywing next to him, murmuring quietly to a small black tom.

He guessed that Bumblestar had seen his clanmates too, since he suddenly gasped. "Rowanfur? Tawnywing? How could you?"

Their eyes turned to Bumblestar, and Tawnywing padded over, the other rogue ThunderClan cat joining her.

"Bumblestar, I'm sorry." Her gaze was sympathetic. "But Shade and Goldensun can really fight, and we prefer a life of fighting. I guess it's just meant to be. A few cats from other clans have joined, anyway, so why shouldn't we?"

Sunpaw couldn't see any cats that he recognised, but others clearly could; ripples of confused murmurs spread throughout the clan.

"They don't quite outnumber us, ThunderClan." Bumblestar mewed quietly to his Clan, gaze still on his brother as he said so. "But with Goldensun mentoring them, who knows what they are capable of?"

"Well, Bumblestar? What is it to be?" Impatience edged Goldensun's meow as he looked down on his brother.

Bumblestar just stared at him, a steely gaze meeting a steely gaze. "You'll have to kill me if you want to take over my clan." He snarled softly.

Sunpaw felt his heart skip a beat as Goldensun's claws unsheathed.

"Alright." He murmured. "I guess you leave me no choice."

Sunpaw's father suddenly turned around and let out an ear-splitting yowl. "Attack!" He then leapt onto Bumblestar.

Then chaos broke loose.