Chapter 2 - It can only get better, right?

Nathan's first four periods went far better than expected. Having an actual passion and appreciation for the subject he taught, the students enjoyed listening to him and having their questions answered. He only had to dodge a few spitballs in third period and he had an AP class to look forward to in the afternoon; the class that the more serious students were enrolled in.

When the bell signaling lunchtime rang, he exhaled and waited for the masses to pass by his door before poking his head out. He knew he wasn't going anywhere near the teacher's lounge, as he hardly wanted anyone asking how he was, or whether it was "weird" being lower on the faculty ladder. Originally, he was going to stay in his room, but remembering his mentor he changed his mind. He grabbed his lunch out of his messenger bag and walked across the hall.

Knocking on the doorframe, he saw Sydney sitting at her desk, looking a little frazzled. "How're you holding up?" he asked.

Sydney looked up at him, relief washing across her face. She stood up, to be polite, and Nathan took the opportunity to look at her without her stained, wool coat. She was wearing a black pencil skirt and a pink cardigan with a string of pearls around her neck. Her brunette hair was down and slightly curled at the ends. Her makeup was modest and she realized she wasn't as young as he'd originally thought. Late twenties, early thirties perhaps. "I'm not so sure I can do this," she said honestly. "As a day to day or a few weeks here and there substitute, something I have a little too much experience with, you can pretty much take anything, but I'm actually afraid of not being able to give them what they need.

Nathan smiled. "Give it more than four classes, hm? They come off a lot tougher than they really are. Well, most of them anyway." He saw a lunch bag on her desk. "Teacher's lounge?"

"Uh, no, thank you," she replied, thinking he was asking her to go with him. "Not really all that comfortable there."

"I don't blame you."

"Even though I'm here the rest of the year, I'm 'the sub', you know? So the other teachers always talk just a little too low and...what?" She saw that Nathan was smiling again, a bit wider than before.

"Well, I may as well tell you before someone else does." She looked at him, puzzled. "I was the principal here until," he cleared his throat, "rather recently. I hated it, my family hated it, and the kids hated it. A few unforeseen incidents and I was fired, which is now actually okay with me. Another problem popped up and I'm back into my old position. Huh." He paused for a moment, cocking his head. "I just made myself sound like the worst guy to help you out didn't I?"

Sydney had no idea what to say. "Um...well, I guess I don't have much to complain about now, do I?"

"Well, teachers are worse gossips than the kids most of the time. Today's my first day back." He saw her grow more concerned as he rested against the edge of one of the front row desks. "Look, I taught here for a good while before I stupidly moved into something I never wanted - I'll be able to help you out."

She sat back down, her stomach the slightest bit uneasy. "I didn't mean to somehow imply that you weren't..." She stopped before she said something that she knew could sound worse than she meant. A small, awkward silence and she followed up with, "Am I part of your probation?"

Nathan laughed. "Yeah, I guess you are." He expected some sort of offense from her, but instead she smiled. "Oh?" he asked, wanting to know what made her mood a little lighter.

"I'm not as alone here as I thought I'd be."

"Mind if I stay? We could go over a few things."

"Sure." She watched as Nathan pulled a spare chair to her desk and sat down. "Thank you for your help."