Chapter 55 - Nathan's Past

On the way to the airport, Sydney confessed that she wasn't the greatest flyer. She left nail marks in Nathan's hand during take off and landing and her face was red with embarrassment each time. Nathan could see the change in her body once they stepped foot inside the airport.

"Sorry," she shrugged, her tone sheepish. "I'm a weenie."

Nathan smiled, his eyes bright. "Long as you're my weenie," he laughed. He laced his fingers with hers, letting her know he would never judge her. After a wait at baggage claim, a cab took them to their hotel. "More extravagant next time," he said softly. "I went with what I could do last minute and..."

"It's perfect," Sydney interrupted. She kissed him, caressing his stubbled cheek. "You have no idea what this means to me."

"Not just you, honey."

It was a couple of hours before they were able to settle in their room, but neither of them minded. They explored the hotel a little as they waited and Nathan received restaurant recommendations from the concierge. Once in their room, Sydney showered and changed. Nathan followed suit after unpacking their things. As he stood in the bathroom shaving, he heard Sydney open the sliding glass door to the balcony, then music filled their room; there was a band playing outside by the pool.

"I....just wanna fly. Put your arms around me, baby, put your arms around me baby..." Sydney giggled as she sang along. She called back into the room, "Nathan, I think it's nineties night out here! You almost done?"

Nathan chuckled to himself, so thankful to hear the happiness in her voice. He knew they both needed to get away from everything at home and test their relationship outside of every day life. He wiped the remaining traces of shaving cream from his face and walked out into the main area of the room. He saw Sydney on the balcony, her back to him. There was a light breeze outside and it rustled the gauzy blue skirt she wore. He watched as the fabric seemed to tickle her thighs, her hips now swaying to a Matchbox Twenty tune. She let herself get caught up in the music, able to be truly carefree for the first time in months. Her hands were above her head and Nathan couldn't help but laugh as he saw a strange combination of "white girl meets slutty Sydney." He decided to help her out.

He quietly made his way to the balcony and slid his hands onto her hips, slowing her. He moved his own hips behind her and they found a rhythm together. Sydney leaned her body against his and let her head fall back onto his shoulder.

"Was it that bad?" she asked, laughing.

"I was very entertained." He kissed her cheek and continued to dance with her, his chest remaining pressed to her back.

"I didn't get out much in college," she confessed. "Never got to dance to any of this and...that's probably for the better."

He nuzzled into her neck. "Mmm...you make up for it now then."

She smiled, enjoying the way he was moving with her. "Good thing you have enough rhythm for both of us."

"I do what I can." He let his hands innocently roam her body as the song came to its end. The band didn't pause as they slowed things down. Only a few notes made it to Sydney's ears before she turned around in Nathan's arms.

"One of the most played and saddest songs of my college career. Stupid Nicolas Cage movie." She shook her head. "Still, when I was pressured into going out for the night, it was the song that always made me wish I had someone to dance with - and Arlen wasn't exactly who I had in mind."

Nathan smiled at her again. "And me?"

And I'd give up forever to touch you, 'cause I know that you feel me somehow. You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be and I don't want to go home right now...