Chapter 12 - Adults at a High School Dance

"Oh boy I just can't wait for history class. It's my favorite hour of the day. Up on the chalkboard I just love your ass. When you write notes, it shake, shake, shakes..." Sydney was singing in the bathroom, internally damning Arlen for playing that Kesha song a few days ago to taunt her. She was getting ready for the dance, feeling every bit a high school student. "So when you get back my pop quiz, what will you think when you read this?" She smiled, unable to help herself and changed the name of the teacher in question. "Mr. Gardner I want to get with you. I won't tell a soul what we're gonna do. Want to get my hands in your khaki pants..."

"Honey, are you almost done in there?" Arlen's voice came from the other side of the door and Sydney was grateful that she was singing softly to herself.

Sydney opened the door. "We can share, Arlen."

Arlen raised an eyebrow. "Look at you getting all dolled up for a chaperoning gig." There was a tell in his voice.

"Arlen, high school students are cruel. I don't need to give them any ammunition by looking bedraggled."

"Bedraggled, huh? Oh, you little word lover. You looked just fine when you got home today." He turned on the shower. "Jess has got a date, you've got a date..."

She rolled her eyes, interrupting him. "I'm chaperoning, Arlen. What's wrong with your shower?"

"Uh huh. Is Nathan chaperoning too? And you know the water pressure's better in here."

"Ooh, is Nathan what?" Jess was in the bathroom now. "I missed part of the conversation."

"Chaperoning," Arlen laughed.

"Hey, privacy please?" Sydney begged.

"What? Arlen's in here," Jess whined.

Sydney sighed. "Arlen doesn't count."

Arlen protested, "Hey!"

"Oh, you know what I mean." She looked at Jess. "You, out." Then Arlen. "You, please get that last bit of hair I couldn't reach with the curling iron."

Arlen smiled, sure he was correct in his assumptions. "Sure thing, hun."

An hour later, Sydney walked into the gym feeling. She realized she was nervous, but not for the same reasons she had been when she was meant to be at these dances. A few more decorations were put in place since school ended and the students managed to pull off something almost magical with their small budget. Since they wanted it to be a winter theme, they opted for hues of blue with white and silver accents; simple and pretty.

The students began to arrive and a few other teachers and parent volunteers started to scatter about the gym and hallway. She started to feel foolish when she thought about the time she put into getting ready – she may as well been one of the sixteen year olds she taught. Arlen finished her hair for her, soft curls cascading down her back. Even while the bathroom was invaded, she took fifteen minutes with her makeup to try and achieve the "I hardly put any time into this" look. She then slipped into a very casual black dress with an a-line hem that fell just below her knees and topped it off with a gold knit cardigan – mixing just enough "teacher" with...well, she didn't know what, exactly. She actually began to laugh at herself when one of her students approached her.

"Do you like how it turned out, Miss Turner?"

"It's really amazing, Andrea," she responded, smiling. "I knew you'd pull it together."

The girl smiled back at her. "Thanks. Maybe I can head up the prom committee in a couple months."

"Well, if you do you, know I'd be more than happy to help. Have a good time tonight."