Chapter 50 - I Want This to be Home

Later that night, Nathan and Sydney were alone in the house. Rodine called Susan and invited her over; Susan opted to stay the night to give her father and Sydney some privacy. They were on the couch together, relaxing and talking about the day.

"You sort of spoiled her today, you know?" Nathan teased.

"Some pajamas and shower gel?" Sydney asked, stretching.

He laughed. "And the books at Target, the chocolate at..."

"I enjoyed it, Nathan, so did she. Is that so bad?"

"Not in the least...she's not...Sydney, I don't want to freak you out or anything, but I think she, no, we..." He sighed, feeling foolish. "We felt a little like a family today."

Sydney looked relieved. "Why would that freak me out?"

"Are we moving too fast? Everything's going so well...too well? Things aren't supposed to be so easy."

"Why not?" she asked. "If Susan wouldn't have been okay with things today I might have said yes, things are flying, red alert - but since things went the way they did..." She kissed him. "I love you. I have a little piece of home here now and I couldn't be happier."

"No?" he asked, his lips moving to her neck.

"Well, maybe." She moved to sit in his lap. "What did you have in mind?" Her cell phone rang for the first time all day. Since it seemed she was being given the room that she needed, she answered, thinking it may be important. "Sorry," she said to Nathan before hitting "answer." "Hello?...Will I what?...No!...Jess, I'm sorry if they're fighting, but they need to work it out on their own...Seriously?" She got up and began to pace. "No, cancel your date, I'm not coming home to clean up after them...of course I care about her, but I care about my sanity too, I'm sorry...What? No, do not give him the phone, Jess...David...excuse me? I have to what?" Nathan's temper was beginning to flare. What was he saying to her? "No, and you know what? When I get home tomorrow, you and I are having a little chat and I can guarantee you're not going to like it." She hung up the phone, her face red with fury.

"Syd?"

"One weekend!" she yelled. "I can't have one weekend where I can't be bothered with other people's issues?" She looked at Nathan, her eyes desperate. "I'm one person...I get that they're fighting, but they decided to do this together, not me!" She was fighting against angry tears.

Nathan rose from the couch and went to her. "Use me," he whispered in her ear. "Let me do for you what you've done for me." He kissed her neck. "Take control..."

"Wh-what?" she was suddenly hoarse.

Nathan licked his lips. "They make you feel like you don't control your life...take control of something." He took her hand and led her upstairs. "You deserve to blow off steam just like you've let me..." He stopped, he had to; his lips were now otherwise occupied. Sydney was kissing him with wanton lust.

"I never got to be in control," she said in a heated whisper. She had Nathan's back to the wall of his bedroom, a definite change of pace. "Until you, I never had..." She refused to finish. Talking would bring tears and she didn't want that right now. If Nathan offered himself to her, she was going to take it. She pressed her hips against his. "This might be different than what you were thinking..."

"Whatever you need, baby," he purred.

"Bed," she said, the word almost desperate. Nathan sat on the edge of the bed and she straddled him instantly. Her lips roamed his neck and her actions slowed. "My needs are different, Nathan..." She slid his shirt up over his head, leaving his pants in place. "You're okay with..."